Early last Friday morning I had no more got started fishing in the White Oak slough (Meldahl pool tributary of the Ohio river), when 2 guys approached me in a big center console aluminum boat. I could see right off that one of them was dressed in what looked like game warden clothing. As they came upon on me he said they were going to trap me in the slough (It's like a big bay off the main channel of the creek) and he further expalined they were doing a asian carp study and had done one in there the day before also.
They proceeded to put a net across the mouth of the slough and 3 more across the slough at different intervals. They told me they had caught a 30lber the day before doing the same thing. I ended up leaving after watching them for a while. They caught numerous gar, drum and regular carp while I was there. The place was ate up with big gar that morning. I don't know if they found any in there that day. The guy with the gamewarden (looked like a commercial fishering outfit) told me you go 2 pools down and load the boat with them. I have never saw any that I could positively identify. Curious if any of you have saw any in this stretch of the river?
Sure hate the thought of dealing with these in the future and the effect of them on our native species.