Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monofilament line test anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Monofilament line test anyone?

I bought this high dollar line thinking "you get what you pay for". I have lost at least one fish each of the last four trips due to broken line. And I replaced it after the second trip. So yesterday, I lost one of the only two fish I caught, and yep, the line broke. So I come home after work, and did a little "breakage test". Now before I get started, let me tell ya, I'm in NO WAY biased toward any brand line, I just want something that is tough. So if you have a different brand laying around, and want to join in, please, by all means, share your results with the rest of us. To conduct this test, I took two foot of brand new line off the spool, tied a loop similar to what I would tie to my jig, on each end, and hooked it to the door and the other end to my digital fish scales, zeroed it, and pulled till it broke.

Results so far...
    Name:  IMG_1227[1].jpg
Views: 593
Size:  37.2 KB
    P-Line 8lb test .0092 diameter
    Breaking strength:3lb6oz.

Name:  IMG_1228[1].jpg
Views: 697
Size:  44.8 KB
    Mr. Crappie Hi-viz
    6lb test .010 diameter
    Breaking strength:5lb13oz.

Post Thanks / Like

Not surprised. My favorite line ever was Shakespeare Sigma. That stuff was amazingly strong yet very limp. Been using Trilene XL and Offshore Angler Tightlines lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Use braid!
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff
    Likes clfarms1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

10lb fusion crystal I cant break it.

shuorc is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

6# stren super knot, but don't let it set in the sun between trips or starts breaking in 2 weeks.--shu
    <*(((((><

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

What lb. Did it break ?

Post Thanks / Like

I've used BPS Excel 4 Lb Clear for casting jigs for several years now. I use a palomar knot and don't have any issues with fish breaking my line. I've caught some pretty big drum and catfish without the line breaking. Now I did snag a bighead carp this spring ... about the size of the USS Nautilus ... line broke.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I've never used line based on pound test. I use line to obtain the depth & speed control that I'm trying to achieve, in order to catch fish. This is the paramount focus of all my fishing. Of course, if you are fishing brush or docks, you have to adjust accordingly, but I would never consider anything above 6# test of any line manufacturer for crappie.

For our species here, I use both 2# & 4# test Trilene XL. Have done so for many, many years. No problems, no worries. Rarely do I experience a line/knot failure. I've also used Fireline in 4# test with a 4# test fluoro leader. The connection being the Alberto knot. Again, no problems, no worries. So I'm not sure just where your problem lies, but I tend to think it might have something to do with the kind of knots you are using and/or how you tie them. But that's something you need to evaluate for your own peace of mind.

I'm going to be trying 2# Fireline Crystal sometime this month and I'll let you folks know how that pans out. I've tried 2# & 4# test Nanofil. Total disaster! I would not recommend that line to anyone, for anything. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't aware that they made anything other than six pound original Stren. But really lines test for different purposes. Some are made to break at no higher than rated to fall into classes for the record books so 10 pound might break at 9 or less. Others are designed to break at greater than rated so a 10 pound test will break at 11-13.
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of knot were you using? Too me the knot is everything 8# and down I use a double clinch, 10 and up I tend to use the palomar knot. I consider P-Line products to be some of strongest lines out there.

RHB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast