Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roadrunner jigs ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Roadrunner jigs ?

Do the Blakemoore Roadrunner jig head work better on crappie than a regular "ball" head jig with or without a spinner blade ? What's the best way to fish a Roadrunner , fast , slow, jigging ? -Thanks
    Last edited by kyron4; 11-23-2006 at 05:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

i love roadrunners, but i really only have success in a more "open water" scenario because otherwise i get hung up every cast. if the fish stack up on top of structure off a point, that's when i tie on a roadrunner. hold on though, i think i have caught a greater diversity of fish of a roadrunner than any other lure. i never seem to have much luck jigging them, but that's just me.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

They work when a regular round head wont. Fish them slow. I usually fish them vertical or with a slow movement of the boat. You can also troll with them. I found that I do better with them when I fish them vertical and then use the trolling motor at a slow speed. Normally I use a blakc head with a charteuse body or a white head with a white body. Every know and again I'll use I orange head with a blue & white body.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Even Roadrunner says you can't fish them wrong as long as you fish them slow. However all jigs are pretty much the same as far as speed to fish them and Roadrunners are good, but so are mine and most other jig makers.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

SLOW then Slow down some more...

Gonefission
    Bill

hogman Guest

Do fish finders help find fish? I have never used one, but am thinking about it.

Hogman

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink only if you use them more often .....

Quote Originally Posted by kyron4
    Do the Blakemoore Roadrunner jig head work better on crappie than a regular "ball" head jig with or without a spinner blade ? What's the best way to fish a Roadrunner , fast , slow, jigging ? -Thanks
    I don't really see any great difference in using a "horse head" jighead, over a ball head or pill head or most any other shape of head ... when none have a spinner blade attached. The Roadrunner, and it's "cousins", utilize the spinner blade for flash and the creation of pressure waves ... which can be detected by the fish.
    I know Blakemore says fish them "slow" ... but, I've found that they work best when retrieved at a moderate, steady, & constant pace. They're pretty good for trolling, too, if you don't stand much chance of dragging them across wood. I generally use them for straight cast & retrieve, when the Crappie are no deeper than 8ft, and they're not in close proximity to any timber. Otherwise, I'm more likely to be throwing a weedless jighead/plastic body. I've never "jigged" with them, or used them in any vertical method .... but, I've seen other people catch Crappie doing just that. .... cp
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Absolutely !!

Quote Originally Posted by hogman
    Do fish finders help find fish? I have never used one, but am thinking about it.

Hogman
    They help you find structure ... the cover on that structure ... the baitfish swimming near that cover ... and the fish hanging around the baitfish, cover, or structure. Also, by showing you the depth of the water under you, the depth of the cover, or the depth of the fish ... it can help you determine the best method/presentation to use to catch them. ...... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hogman

Hogman
    Hey Hogman:

A graph will definitely help you put more fish "in the box" if you fish year around. If you only fish for crappie during the spawn when they are shallow and relating to visible cover - stuff you can see sticking out of the water - then a graph isn't necessary. But when crappie move deeper and relate to the same type of cover that is too deep for you to see then a graph is indispensable.

You don't have to spend a lot of money on a graph either. I use a Matrix 12 on the front of my boat and you can find them on the Internet for under $150. It will do everything that the (much more expensive) Lowrance I have on my console will do - at least for what I use it for.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I've jigged with them,a sharp snap upwards of about 2 feet and let it flutter back down will get the blade spinning.Too slow of a retrieve and the blade just tucks against the body or hangs there doing nothing,ya gotta feel it "pulse"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast