Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: what to feed fat head minnows?

Post Thanks / Like

Default what to feed fat head minnows?

been searching and searching what to feed fat head minnows? when i hold them in my bait tank for over a week? was wondering what to feed them? would oat meal work or is there some thing else?

Post Thanks / Like

Bread would work, but I'd go with a goldfish flake food. WalMart should have it.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you! that is what i thought to use the tetra food sold at wally world. but i bought a minnow trap and it says to use oat meal? not instant but like Quaker brand take for ever to make oat meal? lol's and figred i would ask what to use?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep Tetra-min is what I feed em. But I use the tropical fish flakes instead of the goldfish flakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigolo View Post
    ... i bought a minnow trap and it says to use oat meal? not instant but like Quaker brand take for ever to make oat meal?
    For trapping minnows, it makes sense to use a cheap bait like bread or oat meal. (My dad always used bread.)

For keeping and conditioning minnows, though, you can't beat a quality food like Tetra.
    Likes VaCrappieMan LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with the gold fish food as gold fish are a cold water species similar to the fat heads, but if you really wanna see them do well, some mosquito larvae and freshly hatched brine shrimp will make them Happy! Happy! Happy!

Post Thanks / Like

I kept 1 pound of minnows in two 5 gallon buckets alive from September until 2months ago. I changed about 1/3 of the water every 3 days and fed them
    blue buffalo dry dogfood about every third day. The minute the few chunks of dogfood hit the water started a feeding frenzy.