Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wax Worm feed?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wax Worm feed?

Don't know if any of y'all have bought wax worms lately , but darn they're expensive now. $11 for a can. Planning on going in the morning with wax worms and red worms. Going to try for some shell crackers. What ever wax worms are left I want to keep in the fridge. What do I need to feed them?
    Last edited by "G"; 05-31-2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: language

Post Thanks / Like

It's honey, glycerin,(spelling?) n some kind of meal. Search you tube. They eat honey. N the glycerin does something with the moisture for them

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy small cups of waxworms for about $4 from Academy. They come in a sawdust type material and they keep alive in fridge for up to two months. They keep the cups in a fridge in the store in the fishing section with the night crawlers and meal worms.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt that feed will help at this point. They will be pretty much inactive in the fridge.
    I order my wax worms from Speeyworm.com in lots of 4 tubs .I live in the Illinois Quad Cities and the worms in lots of 4 tubs of 250 ea. are $ 8.55 each to my door .
    I would imagine price would change for freight to some locations .The lady I talked to was nice to deal with .
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used wax worms. How do they stackup against other worms?
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BoarBuster View Post
    I've never used wax worms. How do they stackup against other worms?
    They're excellent. For bream, I would always choose some type of "grub" bait (maggot/waxworm/mealworm) over any other bait. I haven't used crickets in twenty years and will only use red wigglers as a last resort.
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use wax worms and butter worms all year. I catch bigger bluegill and crappie right infront of folks who arn't catching at all.
    Wishing you Blue Skies and Tight Lines
    Likes Badgerloader, shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smoltz View Post
    It's honey, glycerin,(spelling?) n some kind of meal. Search you tube. They eat honey. N the glycerin does something with the moisture for them
    Just start doing mealworms, its simple, look it up on you tube, and just use the pupa from them like a waxworm or maggot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcounty View Post
    Don't know if any of y'all have bought wax worms lately , but darn they're expensive now. $11 for a can. Planning on going in the morning with wax worms and red worms. Going to try for some shell crackers. What ever wax worms are left I want to keep in the fridge. What do I need to feed them?
    Just start doing mealworms, its simple, look it up on you tube, and just use the pupa from them like a waxworm or maggot.