Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what kind of tach

Post Thanks / Like

Default what kind of tach

what kind of tach do you use for small 9.8 four 4 stoke motor . it's about the only way to help set up motor. These new motor Merc, rudes , tohatsu, nission, areall made by the same company and paint is the only difference also motors are 2 inches longer with a need to build up transom.
    Last edited by rocket rich; 05-31-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: more info

Post Thanks / Like

Some buy a tinytach.com tach, I bought this which is similar and only $ 13, just got it and haven't used it -http://www.amazon.com/Penny-Tachometer-Stroke-Outboard-Mercury/dp/B00ACDP6YU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1401556117&sr=8-5&keywords=tachometer+boat I'm gonna use it to verify the accuracy of my console tach.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless you have a charging system on your motor you will have to use something like the Tiny Tach mentioned. I have used them and while not as good as a regular marine outboard tach they will get the job done.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

X3 Tiny Tach runs off watch batteries. I strapped mine to the tiller arm with rubber bands where I could see RPM's . Wire runs from tach to one of your spark plug wires. Simple to use.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the Tiny Tach. Great device for small engines. Had mine for 5 years before I sold the boat.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't even know you could get a tach for the smaller motors. Done went an learnth something new today.
    FISH ON

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you go with a Tiny Tach make sure it is set for 1 spark per rotation. I think the default setting is that.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BoarBuster View Post
    I didn't even know you could get a tach for the smaller motors. Done went an learnth something new today.
    Now if someone will tell me why I need one I will have learned two things today .
    Likes clfarms1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    Some buy a tinytach.com tach, I bought this which is similar and only $ 13, just got it and haven't used it -http://www.amazon.com/Penny-Tachometer-Stroke-Outboard-Mercury/dp/B00ACDP6YU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1401556117&sr=8-5&keywords=tachometer+boat I'm gonna use it to verify the accuracy of my console tach.
    I tried my $ 13 Penny tachometer today on my Merc 60. It read pretty close to what my boat tach read.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eagle 1 View Post
    Now if someone will tell me why I need one I will have learned two things today .
    Probably the most important thing is you can tell if you are running the right prop or not. You don't want your motor over reving or lugging.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast