Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Maximum trolling distance I can expect?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maximum trolling distance I can expect?

I have a couple electric-only lakes I want to fish where the distance from the ramp to my desired fishing grounds is farther than I normally travel. I don't want to deplete my battery and not make it back to the ramp.

I'm fishing in a 8' bass hunter style plastic boat with a 40-lb thrust 12v motor. Due to the small size of the boat I run a single 12v trolling motor which is a EverStart 27-series with 109 amphours. (I know a 29-series would run longer but they were out and most my lakes are small anyway.)

For all I know my battery might get me back to the ramp just fine on these longer trips, but it would not be pleasant if I was stranded. For example one lake I want to travel 1 mile, fish for the day which includes off/on use and some trolling, then travel 1 mile back to the ramp. Is a single 12v 27-series with a fresh charge capable of that?

I don't want to buy a second battery and load down this small boat if it isn't needed. Thanks for advice from anybody who better understands how far a small boat can go in this situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Too many variables to even begin to answer your question. I would take a couple of oars/paddles with me.
    The only other way I would go about answering such a question would be to measure the amp drain at the battery under normal conditions and the speed you want to move then divide that number into the theoretical amp hour rating of the battery. Remembering that the amp hour rating is deteriorating every time you are out and the battery ages.

Post Thanks / Like

Larry is correct, too many variables. The only thing I can say about it is that I can pull a Tracker ProV16 with a 12v Minn Kota 45 lbs thrust all day pulling crankbaits and still have never got to my spare. If conditions were very windy, they might not make it. Type of trolling motor also play a factor. Minn Kota has done a very good job in the recent years with power consumption.

Post Thanks / Like

Well if I were you and wanted to be sure I could make it back I would take a second battery along on a few trips as back up. Once I knew I could make my trips and get back on one battery the second one could be left at home.
    FISH ON
    Likes okhawg, hawgdog LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BoarBuster View Post
    Well if I were you and wanted to be sure I could make it back I would take a second battery along on a few trips as back up. Once I knew I could make my trips and get back on one battery the second one could be left at home.
    BoarBuster nailed it, sacrifice on a trip or two, then you'll know.

Post Thanks / Like

You will probably use more battery coming and going than while trolling. You could also bring a volt meter and monitor, rather than two batteries. Return back as soon as voltage starts to drop. But like others said, too many variables to know for sure.

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We fish several electric only lakes!! We run trolling motor several miles one lake is about 5 miles long!!! Have an older motorguide 40 lb trust trolling motor!!16-48 alumacraft boat!! Make sure you have a good chared up 100% battery!! Not 90-95 %!! 100% deep cycle battery!!! We carry a (jump start) for backup!!(have never used it ) use it for cleaning fish electric knife) You can get these at Wal-mart,auto zone ect keep it charged also 100%!!! Hope this helps!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.