PDA

View Full Version : What rod for dock shooting?

kercha83
05-29-2014, 09:06 PM
What is a good rod for dock shooting? Right now I have a 6 ft med light rod which does pretty good but was wondering if a 6ft 6in. or 7ft ultra light fast action will be any better. What rod do you guys recommend?

CrappiePappy
05-30-2014, 02:43 AM
What is a good rod for dock shooting? Right now I have a 6 ft med light rod which does pretty good but was wondering if a 6ft 6in. or 7ft ultra light fast action will be any better. What rod do you guys recommend?

I use either a 5'6" ESP UL or a 6'6" ESP PowerLite spinning rod. I like a fast action tip, rather than the parabolic bend style rods. Fast action tips seem to "shoot" the jig rather than "sling" it, and that seems to translate into the jig "skipping" better & farther.

I've shot docks with everything from 5' to 8' rods ... fast action to UL whips ... med hvy to UL to microlite ... and those two rods seem to perform better, for me.

... cp :kewl

genec
05-30-2014, 06:55 AM
as pappy said,a fast tip light to med light action,if you pick up a rod and it bends in the middle as much as at the end ,put it back ,you want one that bends mostly in the first half from tip.a stift or wimpie rod do not do a good job.i use 5 1/2 cheerywood

BoarBuster
05-30-2014, 01:57 PM
I would think a shorter rod would be better for shooting docks. Am I wrong about this?

LOZ Targa
05-30-2014, 03:09 PM
I started shooting docks this past winter and tried several rods of different actions and lengths. I went to a seminar at Bass Pro that the the Buntings were putting on and they talked about and demonstrated dock shooting. Travis was using and recommended a 7' Sam Heaton Super Sensitive for accuracy and distance. I bought one and I was amazed how easy it was to shoot with this rod. You don't have to load it very much to get the distance and I think that helps with the accuracy too. My wife even tried it and wants me to get her one too. I never used a spinning reel for crappie until I started shooting docks. But now this is the only rod I use now. It cast great and is really sensitive and if I want to shoot a dock it's already in my hand.

CrappiePappy
06-01-2014, 10:52 AM
I would think a shorter rod would be better for shooting docks. Am I wrong about this?

BB ... a lot depends on how close you get to the dock when you're shooting. A real short rod (<5ft) will work, but you're not likely to get near the distance of a longer rod. One factor that also comes into play, when using a shorter rod, is the size reel you have on those "short" rods. Best case scenario is a reel with a "long cast" spool or a very wide spool, so that the shot doesn't have to send out a high percentage of the line on the spool. :twocents

... cp :kewl