Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hook Removal

Post Thanks / Like

Question Hook Removal

I have been hooking a lot of really tiny sunfish lately and they have been swallowing the hooks. When this happens, I try to remove the hook with forceps but sometimes it doesn't work. In that case a few times I cut the hook off and leave it in the fish because that is what I read online. Instead of ripping up the fish, leave the hook in and it will eventually fall apart. I have a few questions:

1. My first question is, should I be doing this or trying harder to remove the hook.

2. Can you recommend some different ways I can avoid catching all these little buggers. Bigger hooks? I'm using size #6,

3. Also, if I do get these guys, are there any tools or methods for removing a hook from these baby fish where they are so small you can't even stick a finger in their mouth?'

4. I recently bought this fish twist dehooker called the Baker Mini T Hookout. I have no idea how to use it or if I should be using it. The product came with 0 instructions and I can find 0 instructions online. Anyone know how to use this thing? I put a picture below.

Name:  hookout.jpg
Views: 1727
Size:  17.6 KB

This beginner thanks you for any help you can give!
    "SHUT UP AND FISH!" - Wisdom Cube

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hooks can & do dissolve in a fish's stomach, and they can also be "passed" if they're lucky enough to be in the correct position to do so.

You might try going up in size to a #4 hook, to dissuade smaller sunfish from swallowing the smaller hooks ... but, you're still not likely to keep them from grabbing the bait or nipping on it until they pull it off the hook. If you're fishing for Sunfish, try fishing deeper than where you're catching all these "runts". The bigger Sunfish will usually hold deeper than the dinks.

The hook release item you've pictured has instructions in this link : http://bakerhookout.com/portfolio/hookout-mini/

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Ok great, I didn't know the bigger ones would be a bit deeper. Good to know.

I also think the lake I fish at doesn't have many big bluegill because of overpopulation, so that is one problem.

As for the hook remover instructions, it says "just squeeze, twist and remove a hook or lure". I don't know where to squeeze, where or what to attach the squeeze part to, or which way/how to twist. Lol.

Thanks for all the help!
    "SHUT UP AND FISH!" - Wisdom Cube

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GetDatFish View Post
    Ok great, I didn't know the bigger ones would be a bit deeper. Good to know.

I also think the lake I fish at doesn't have many big bluegill because of overpopulation, so that is one problem.

As for the hook remover instructions, it says "just squeeze, twist and remove a hook or lure". I don't know where to squeeze, where or what to attach the squeeze part to, or which way/how to twist. Lol.

Thanks for all the help!
    If you do know that the lake is overpopulated with stunted Sunfish .... then I wouldn't worry too much about saving many lives by means of gentle hook removal. They're very prolific breeders and will recoup their numbers with little effort. And the fish that may die from the hook removal will not be wasted .... Ma Nature has a way with "recycling" them through the food chain.

The Mini-T is made to hold in your hand like a hypodermic syringe ... the J hook on the end of the barrel goes around the line, then you push the barrel down the fish's mouth/throat until you reach the hook bend ... then you squeeze (pull back) on the center T part of the device with your fingers, which pushes the barrel over the little J shaped hook ... when you twist the device (turn the whole Mini-T with a twist of your wrist) it should bring your fishing hook around to the cutout U shaped area of the barrel and lock it in place, there. Then it should just be a matter of pulling the device back out of the fish's mouth, bringing the tucked away fishing hook with it.

This all depends on how big the hook is, and/or how small the fish is, as far as how much/little damage will be done by this removal technique. But, like I said before ... Ma Nature will take care of the recycling of those that do not survive the ordeal.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have a great trick in removing a deep hook. I come in through the gills and dislodge the hook and then come through the mouth to finish removing. Works every time without killing the fish.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same de-hooker and is ok but with smaller jigs it's still tough....get some cheap fondue forks and shorten the tines a little and file or grind them so they're more rounded and works great.
    Take a kid fishing start a new friendship with nature.

Post Thanks / Like

take some of them lil ones put a bigger hook in their back & throw em on out in the lake your fishing & see if there's any catfish out there!
    My wife swears I only do enough surveying to support my hunting & fishing because I'm too busy hunting & fishing !

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by icejohn View Post
    I have the same de-hooker and is ok but with smaller jigs it's still tough....get some cheap fondue forks and shorten the tines a little and file or grind them so they're more rounded and works great.
    X2 Work great on them small hooks.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

X2 Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kickingback View Post
    I have a great trick in removing a deep hook. I come in through the gills and dislodge the hook and then come through the mouth to finish removing. Works every time without killing the fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Get in and check out fly fishing tools. Look at hook removers. They have one that similar to a tube with a slice cut out of middle. Slip it over your line, slide it down to the hook and push it. Then u can keep line taunt and hook with stay tight to the tool and pull it right out of fishes mouth works really well. N they make two sizes.

Also be sure using an Aberdeen style hook.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast