Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling.

Friend of a friend got into the trolling for crappie about two years ago and my buddy went with him several times . Hes not into the trolling and crappie but said he's catching a lot and by accident landed a 8.5 pound bass about three weeks ago.
    Hes using 8 to 10 foot spinning rods. 6 off the back of the boat and 3 off each side on the front full time trolling at one mph.
    So I built the GF a 6 rod holder the last two days and a 3 stand for up front.
    Where he's trolling is in 5 to 8 foot of water at the mouth of the creeks , and shortens up the lines to about several inches or just under the water around stumps ect.

1..I'm not needing anything fancy but what are some of the least" expensive spinning rods and with 6 off the back what length do you guys that have experience doing this feel is the best to buy. Have to give it to this gentleman he don't mind spending a hundred dollars a pop for a rod but that ain't in my program right now. Maybe one at a time later but getting started I need to just get on the water with something that works.

2. Hes using 10 pound Power pro, brad line. Would mono be better and what size would you guys use.

3. He's having more luck with the Ribbontail grubs than he is the tube lures and he's using the 2"/5cm Ribbontail Grub Firetiger. Whats you guys experience with those and what are the best jibs/grubs to buy and what colors.

4. Little early but we have minnows gone to bed up here. Have a 10 foot throw net we use for shrimp when the salt water backs up and they come inland that will catch any type of minnow. Two live wells both with LEDs so minnow storage is not a problem. . How much better is live than using these grubs/jigs.

5. Over cast days or sunny days I would think over cast days but again, its all new to me? Which is the best.

Thanks.
    LUKE
    Tr21X Triton & Dodge Trucks.
    North East North Carolina

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't answer all your questions but on rods you can get Pinnacal limit rods from Grizzly Jig or Monks crappie. They are limber and tough and cheap. They come in 8/10 and 12. Get 4 for 60.00 dollars and Grizzly will let you add rods at that same price. Lots of guys who longline troll use them.
    Never used those particular jig's but any good curly tail should work. I was given some Strike King baits with the rage tail I have done well with. You will just have to experiment with colors. Don't limit yourself. I would think overcast would be best fishing that shallow.
    Minnows should work well also. Know a couple of guys in Alabama that won't troll without them.
    Hope this helps some.
    Also monks sells some inexpensive Schimano spinning reels that work well.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Can't answer all your questions but on rods you can get Pinnacal limit rods from Grizzly Jig or Monks crappie. They are limber and tough and cheap. They come in 8/10 and 12. Get 4 for 60.00 dollars and Grizzly will let you add rods at that same price. Lots of guys who longline troll use them.
    Never used those particular jig's but any good curly tail should work. I was given some Strike King baits with the rage tail I have done well with. You will just have to experiment with colors. Don't limit yourself. I would think overcast would be best fishing that shallow.
    Minnows should work well also. Know a couple of guys in Alabama that won't troll without them.
    Hope this helps some.
    Also monks sells some inexpensive Schimano spinning reels that work well.
    Thank you Cray.
    I seen a Grizzly jigs on e bay. Is this the same gentleman and if so is he on here. Trucker and new truck is in the shop for a while with warranty problems and we were thinking about heading to Bass Pro tomorrow to see what we could get into but the reels your talking about have my attention also. Seen some for as little as 3 for 20 some dollars on e bay but not sure they would last . LOL GF can eat and drink that much on a night out. LMBO.
    Coastal and anything can bit around here from 15 pound striper to a healthy drum so just want the reels where they won't tear up if it ain't a crappie on the other end.
    Have about 20 brim busters and our most fun fishing is crickets, chilling with the head phones plugged in, but I'm wanting to get into the spinning reel thing so if something big does hit its not going to pop the line and we have a better change of landing it.
    Thanks again.

You did mentioned something I also need advice on and just a good idea would be helpful. What is long lining and what is the best distance to troll the lures behind the boat.
    AT one MPH I was thinking about using the small brim corks so I could adjust my trolling depth per rod but how far behind the boat is the best distance to have the lure is something I have no idea. The guy I mentioned that trolls is using spinning rods all different length but is not using a float so he's only trolling with the line straight down.
    I would think having the lines out further away from the boat might be a better idea so I'm thinking this is the long lining correct?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Long line trolling is simply trolling with a "long line" ... called as such to differentiate it from trolling methods that keep the lines closer to the boat ... like Spider Rigging, slow trolling, pushing/pulling crankbaits. Their definitions do overlap in regards to the fact that they're all trolling methods that are used under power of a motor ... be it gas or electric.

In some areas of the country, it's also called "flat line trolling" .... indicating that the lines are way out behind the boat (flat in relation to the water's surface) as opposed to being angled more vertically.

... cp

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a different term for trolling jig's behind the boat. Trolling in crappie terms is used more when pushing jig's or minnows off the front with a weight. Grizzly Jig is a company family owned and operated, number one crappie supply store in the nation. Great people and great service.
    I am no expert by any stretch but I usually make a long cast out the back then strip a couple of arm lengths of line out. Calculate that to around 50 ft. Boat speed and distance will dictate depth along with weight of jig head. You can use floats though most don't. Might be best alternative when fishing shallow over brush or weed beds.
    Those Shimano reels I'm talking about are black,come in a blister PAC and usually go for around 12.00 each. Rear drag which I like and pretty tough reel. I would opt for the 3000 series.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CP and Cray. I'm nothing but Shimano and that info was nice to know.
    Figured long lining was way out there but how far you guys were talking about was want I needed to know. We troll for stripers over here but we're out 75 to 100 foot so the lures will get down out in the sound.

I'll look at the sponsors and see if I can contact Grizzle and get some prices. Think a road trip to BP is in order just to look around and sounds like the prices are better through the forum anyway. Want to get it done and what ever on order before going back to work so we'll have it next time in. Tickled with the PVC rod holders I made so i'm in go mode right now and going to try and do some reading tonight in search.
    Thanks for the help guys. I'm not scared to ask a question so i'm sure I"ll be back. LOL