Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bigger or smaller baits, faster or slower - let the fish decide

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bigger or smaller baits, faster or slower - let the fish decide

Yesterday and Sat. my partners and I did well on five species using different size lures, jigheads and retrieve speeds. It depended on which area of the lake the level of activity what highest.

When fish area in a super active mode, just about any size lure (within reason) will get bit. I kind of know immediately when one or more fish strikes multiple times and then hooks itself, even on different casts to the same spot. (This is common for crappie and perch.) Usually if I get many bites like that right at the boat vertical jigging, it tells me fish are swiping and missing repeatedly because of hyperactivity. In an area this occurs, more active fish are usually present and multi-specie schools are common. I have no idea why.

Interesting is that the boat was in 4.5' of water and the fish were grouped in one area of sparse pads - something that must be discovered by many casts to different areas of pads when fish are still shallow after the spawn. Out of the 360 degree circle, the effective casting radius was only 30 degrees to one tight area. Nothing on either side of the boat and nothing in open water.

The other interesting phenomena was that the active fish were prone to different lure and jighead sizes (a previous topic I posted). I figured that the 1/8 oz. jighead I truly needed for the 15 mph wind, better casting distance and depth control would be as effective as the 1/16 oz. to catch active fish. I also believe (now) that bulkier bodies, brighter colors and more of an action tail (curl tail) will get strikes from most sizes of fish (5" and larger) when the school is active. Yesterday was a prime example.

I like to start out using finesse lures and slow presentations on light jigs and then move up in size and a rounder lure shape with greater action. After many outings, I've come to believe it possible to turn on a school after the first fish is caught and then to experiment with different lure and jig sizes that serve as a challenge to their space (kind of like a dog claiming its territory to any dog that enters it). It could be a feeding response or reflex strike but I don't care as long as I get strikes.

That instant line bow from a large crappie coming towards me with the lure in its mouth is a thrill I'll never tire of and I learned that bigger, faster or more action is sometimes more effective to create a better target fish can't let pass by.

A few of the larger baits that caught fish:

Last edited by Spoonminnow; 05-28-2014 at 07:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

excellent post! The fish will tell you how THEY want it if you will listening to them! Most fishermen will decide what they want to use instead of asking the fish what they are hungry for and how they want it!
    The fish aren't interested in all the toys and gadgets that most feel they have to have to catch a fish. Those are for the fisherman's own confidence. The fish just wants to go to his favorite restaurant to have what he wants. If you find the bait the Crappie won't be far from it. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p