Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bubbleing lakewater...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bubbleing lakewater...

I hope this is the right place to ask this... Fishing our usual spot on the lake Sunday, the water had dropped at least 10 feet since our last time out there. The fish were nowhere to be found, and there were bubbles coming up through the water everywhere, making it impossible to read the fishfinder, it was saying there were fish everywhere, we'd stop to fish and realise it was bubbles again.
    The water temp had dropped to 53F, and the only thing we were catching was landlocked coho salmon.
    Were these bubbles from decaying algae? This is a pretty large lake, and this was a large cove of the lake. It was raining pretty hard if that makes any difference. We couldn't even catch any bluegill, they had moved also.
    If this isn't decaying algae, then there's a volcanic event coming up, or something I haven't heard of before. Any ideas?
    Thanks, Glowgood
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Post Thanks / Like

Probably rotting vegetation in combination with fall turnover. Once the surface temperature falls below that of the water at the bottom of the lake (generally mid-fifties), it starts to sink. Water reaches its heaviest density at 39 degrees. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

If it smelled of sulfur, then it may have been something volcanic but not likely. If it smelled like pond muck then Roberta is probably on track with the beginnings of lake turnover. Depending on the elevation of this particular lake, it may not take much more of a cool off to make it turnover.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

probley turn-over beleve it or not up here in mo on loz(which is gin clear) down on the north shore area) after turn over you will see small(about the size of a silver dollar) jelly fish or something that looks like jelly fish,just as well go some where else when this happens cause al your going to catch is a cold
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Are you fishing on Mt. Hood? If so, I'd be outta there!

Post Thanks / Like

We are closer to the Three Sisters, at the foothills of the Cascade Mountians. There are some hotsprings a few miles from there, but I'm going with the lake turnover theory. This lake gets areas of real thick, green algea that covers large patches of the bottom, and I'll bet that's what the bubbles are from. Could be from all the rotting stumps too, I suppose. Couldn't smell anything but fresh rainwashed mountian air, as we were getting drenched in a rainstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Opie1
    Are you fishing on Mt. Hood? If so, I'd be outta there!
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Post Thanks / Like

Aliens
    Good things come to those who bait.