Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Whats your strategy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Whats your strategy?

I'm fishing a local lake and I know that it has some really nice fish in it. (not that I've caught many of em) I don't fish it a lot, but today, I didn't have much of a choice, so I headed over there. Finally got in some fish, and it was a bite just about every spot I dropped a jig. Problem is, the were all about 4-5" long. Whats your strategy when you run into this situation? I just kept chugging along doing the same thing and weeding through the little fellas.I was fishing submerged logs 5' deep in 9 fow. I managed 7 good ones, but I was wondering if I could change my tactics to get away from the little fish and find some bigger ones.?Name:  IMG_1184[1].jpg
Views: 296
Size:  43.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I've always heard to use a bigger bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I was using a 2" hand tied jig. Some of them fish had absolutely no business trying to eat something that big.
    Last edited by dblevens; 05-25-2014 at 09:52 PM. Reason: inches,not feet

Post Thanks / Like

don't go to lake Charles again
    Likes dblevens LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Fish something the little guys can't eat.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the bigger fish were under the smaller ones and fishing deeper would solve that. Perhaps I was wrong.
    FISH ON

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We fish several small lakes in our area that is known for small crappie and lots of them Ramsey slough,lake charles, Newark lake!! We learned most of these small crappie were coming from the banks (shallow)!! We moved out to deeper water 8-10 and targetd cover in at this depth.We also learned most fishermen were getting right over the cover with theri boat,trolling motor(spooking fish)espically the( bigger crappie)We backed off cover and started pitching our jig's to the cover (hand tied,Midsouth,bass pro tender tubes 2 in) Not a pro!! But this is what works for us!!This is some Pics from lake Charles!!!Name:  04-01-14_1606[1].jpg
Views: 233
Size:  58.7 KBName:  04-01-14_1630[1].jpg
Views: 231
Size:  47.7 KB
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

Get away from that wood. The little ones are hiding in there for a reason. Go offshore and find the bigger ones, probably suspended the next depth contour off the logs. A slab crappie could eat that one in your picture... again, there is a reason he was hiding in that wood.

Post Thanks / Like

yep, like Kevin said move out to the next drop or even a little deeper. You start catching those smalls pull stakes. If you go to just another location like that then more than likely your going to get the same results.