Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Get a Fly rod or is there an alternative?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Get a Fly rod or is there an alternative?

I'd like to be able to present some small flies / streamers for crappie and panfish. I've seen occasions where the guy with the fly rod was slaying the fish and nobody else could get a bite. I'd either like recommendations for a beginner fly rod or is there a way to present flies without becoming proficient with a fly rod .

Sometimes a tie a fly above or below a small jig then they sink.

Post Thanks / Like

yes there is a way without fly gear. look up casting bubble and you'll get the idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a bubble float and tie it above a swivel snap. Then add a 3-6 foot leader and your fly. YouTube fly fishing with a spinning rod and you can see what I'm talking about. I've been fishing this way lately and catching bluegill. Works great if you don't want to learn to fly rid.

Post Thanks / Like

As the other guys have said, the bubble will work. FWIW, though, I'd rather use a fly rod. Basic casting is not hard to learn, and it's fun!

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    I'd either like recommendations for a beginner fly rod ...
    See here:

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/showt...r-rod-and-reel

Post Thanks / Like

I love to fly fish, but there are times when a flyrod is just not the best tool. Scum on the water in the hot summer is one. That stuff is just plain annoying!

If you do not have to cast too far, try 2-4# line, UL rod, smallest thill ice/fly float, and a fly of your choice. Use it as a strike indicator and not a bobber. I've painted some black to be incognito but it doesn't seem to make any difference other than being hard to see on cloudy days. If you have to cast pretty far, the clear casting floats are what you need.

FishUSA (site sponsor) has them http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Thill...IndicatorFloat

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Growing up on the Famous White River!!(Trout smallmoth stream) Did not know their was anything other than fly fishing!!! White River fly shop at your nearest( Bass Pro) can fill all your needs!!! form Beginner to the Pro!!!

Search Results

White River Fly Shop | Bass Pro Shops

http://www.basspro.com/...White-Rive...op/_/N-1z0xez5

Bass Pro Shops

Items 1 - 40 of 456 - Find White River Fly Shop fly fishing gear at Bass Pro. Choose from a large assortment of top fly rods, fly reels, flies, fly boxes and fly gear from ...
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.