Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: westsam

Post Thanks / Like

Default westsam

Is there an advantage using minnows over jigs?
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Some times the fish want the jigs and not the minnows. And some times they want the minnows not the jigs. Then some times they want the jigs tipped with minnows. They will let you know which ones they want.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1weezer
    Some times the fish want the jigs and not the minnows. And some times they want the minnows not the jigs. Then some times they want the jigs tipped with minnows. They will let you know which ones they want.
    That about sum's it up! I have caught bigger crappie on jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Give them both I say! Doesn't hurt to jig a spoon once in a while too just to see if that's what they want. Minnows under slip-floats are the easiest and most productive bait/set-up I have found for folks that haven't fished much or at least haven't fished with jigs.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can ever go wrong with live bait. After all, they don't get fat on plastic. But it sure is fun getting that thump on a slow falling jig.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default westsam

thanks everyone for your quick response

Post Thanks / Like

I only use minnows during the summer at night and I have one drop with a minnow and below that I have a 1/4 oz. jig for weight and the fish. I usually catch the bigger crappie on jigs. Spring and fall I use only Jigs because I just don't think there is a need to use minnows and they bring other problems like a place to put them and keep them alive and taking up space in the boat. I have live wells, but in the cooler weather I use that for my fish. During the summer using minnows I have to take a ice chest for the fish and a big minnow bucket for the minnows.

So just me personally I don't like using minnows and really don't feel the need except for at night during the summer. I do feel that we catch more fish in the summer at night using both.

Hope this helps and if I can ever help with any jigs please look at my web site,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Kid Stuff

I have found that using minnows is a good way to get a kid started fishing for crappie. I took my grand daughter out this pm with minnows and had a ball watching her trying to set the hook and get the fish to the boat.

the minnows are more troublesome than just taking a handful of jigs, but i believe there is a time and place for them.

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY

Post Thanks / Like

The only live bait we can use in Oregon is worms or insects, no minners. Boy I sure would if I could. There's a good reason though, as our Diamond Lake was just poisoned out because of somebody bringing in tui chub minnows illegally for bait, and they got away and took over the lake, which was a beautiful lake with huge rainbow trout and a natural freshwater shrimp & bug hatch to feed them. Hopefully that won't happen again.
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

i HAVE SEEN A FEW SMALL LAKES AND FARM PONDS THAT HAVE BEEN TAKEN OVER BY MINNOWS THAT FOLKS HAVE TURNED LOOSE. You can go to lake Monroe north of aberdeen and catch red fin minnows that are larger than the bluegill in the lake.

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY