PDA

View Full Version : Question specific to Driftmaster Spider Rig system

OzarkAngler
05-24-2014, 08:37 PM
How easy is it to remove the Drift master spider rig from your front deck? Can the basebmount remain but the post and rod holder bar/holders are removed?

I want to be able to switch from crappie to bass to trolling with big motor quickly and easily without having the spiderbrigbin the way.

Something like the Mr Crappie spider rig is an alternative I am looking at.

Thanks!

yikess
05-24-2014, 09:36 PM
Yes you can remove the spider rig. All that will remain is a flat base.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

arkansasbowhunter
05-24-2014, 09:40 PM
You should look at the spider loks .

CrappiePappy
05-24-2014, 09:52 PM
Looks like the bases are threaded, so ... yeah, you can remove them easily. It would be more time consuming to remove the single rod holders, if you had 6 or 8 of them. And you have to order left threaded holders/bases for use on left side of boat -- rt threaded for right side use. And you have to choose which size rod handle holder you want. And the singles are not adjustable up/down ... you have to order the degree of angle (that they make) you want each holder to be.

Mr Crappie spider rig system is heavy duty "plastic". :(

Personally, I'd be more inclined to look at the Hi-tek rod holder system (Extreme Series). http://www.hitekstuff.com/index.html
Even the Cumberland Crappie 360 model or a set of BeeReady rod holders look to be more easily adjusted & as stout as any (& probably much stouter than the Mr Crappie system). :twocents

... cp :kewl

OzarkAngler
05-25-2014, 09:40 PM
I realize it "can" be removed but the question is how easily? All of the metal rigs seem like you have to spin the entire rig off since its threaded. The Mr Crappie setup uses a quick connect and my buddy has one. It's sturdy. Just because it's plastic and has some give isn't an issue.

slabdaddy
05-26-2014, 03:13 AM
The driftmaster t 250's are very easy to remove!!

skeetbum
05-26-2014, 05:12 AM
I've seen the plastic ones and wasn't impressed. There are several mfg of GOOD rod holders that quick change from one setup to another or out completely. I use Hi-Tek's extreme model, one of our sponsors, and like em fine. I troll, spider rig, drift and deep jig and they are out with the turn of one bolt. Some I had in the past took 3 tools to adjust. They have a very low profile base that they slide into, I have 9 bases positioned around the boat. Not all are created equal, so shop some and don't let the bottom line dictate your choice. You're gonna have em a long time.

wannabe fisherman
05-26-2014, 05:22 AM
on Hi-tek you loosen base screw, slide out, done. base plate is flat so no tripping over it

Iwannafish
05-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Cumberland Crappie holders mount to a flat base. Only have to loosen two screws to remove the entire rig. Takes less than a minute to remove. In fact, I have an extra set of bases mounted in the back of the boat, and just move my rigs from the front to the back to pull cranks. Very simple and efficient.

E-Z Poleholder
05-27-2014, 02:38 PM
SpyderLoks, another option

OK Crappie Slayer
05-27-2014, 02:39 PM
OzarkAngler - the Driftmaster 250's take about 5 seconds to take down. Once the base is installed, it's a matter of taking the threaded rod and screwing it in the base. After it's screwed into the base, the top rail is mounted to the top end of the threaded rod and held by a wingnut. I purchased four bases and two t-rods. I have two bases on the bow and two on the back. I simply move the t-rods to the respective location given the technique I'm using for the day.

bobothewizard
05-28-2014, 02:04 PM
If you are getting rod holders get the spider loks posted previously. The driftmasters are a pain in the butt to remove and you have a chance of the wing nut falling in the water when you take them off. I had a pair of the driftmasters and I needed to take them off at the end of the day and it got to be such a pain I sold them and went with the spider loks. Ten times better to remove after a day of fishing.

With the spider loks, you unscrew 2 nuts at the bottom of the base plate and thats it. No messing around with a wing nut on top of a rod, then unscrewing the rod itself.

Yadkin Guide
05-28-2014, 04:49 PM
Yes the Driftmaster T-250 Bars can be removed from your boat in about 30 seconds without any tools. I have done this many times as a guide and then store them in a rod box. No fuss no problems.

BoarBuster
05-28-2014, 06:38 PM
Looks like the bases are threaded, so ... yeah, you can remove them easily. It would be more time consuming to remove the single rod holders, if you had 6 or 8 of them. And you have to order left threaded holders/bases for use on left side of boat -- rt threaded for right side use. And you have to choose which size rod handle holder you want. And the singles are not adjustable up/down ... you have to order the degree of angle (that they make) you want each holder to be.

Sorry for cutting your Quote I just didn't need all of it so I was just trying to save space. Now for my question. Are you serious about what you are saying?

CrappiePappy
05-28-2014, 06:56 PM
Sorry for cutting your Quote I just didn't need all of it so I was just trying to save space. Now for my question. Are you serious about what you are saying?

Those comments were based on what I saw & read on the website of that brand. http://www.driftmaster.com/Rodholders.html
And you will notice that I was referring to the SINGLE standalone holders .... not the T-bar style holders.

Which statement do you disagree with ??

BoarBuster
05-28-2014, 07:33 PM
I'm not disagreeing with any of it. I really do not know anything about the mounting of any of the systems at present. I can however understand the left on left and the right on right because of the turning of the threaded piece so it stays tight when you put tension on it. I was really asking to see if you were joking or not.

CrappiePappy
05-28-2014, 08:37 PM
I'm not disagreeing with any of it. I really do not know anything about the mounting of any of the systems at present. I can however understand the left on left and the right on right because of the turning of the threaded piece so it stays tight when you put tension on it. I was really asking to see if you were joking or not.

Understood !! And no, wasn't joking ... just relating what I'd seen/read on the website. I have no experience with that brand, so I had to check the website for the information. I have the Hi-teks on my boat, and have experienced the Cumberland holders on a buddy's boat.

arkansasbowhunter
05-29-2014, 08:25 AM
Spiderloks all the way here