Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with braided line?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Problem with braided line?

I got 2 new crappie rods that I was wanting to string up with 10# Power Pro. I went to Bass Pro to get some & they were out so I bought 10# berkeley Fireline.

Saturday while fishing, if I got hung up & pulled too hard on the line, my line would break at the knot. I was using the loop knot to attach my jigs & hooks to my line. The line just seemed to break way to easily!

Anyone else have this problem? Any problems with the Power Pro? Anyone else thried the Fireline?

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10# Fireline for crankbait fishing, and I've been VERY satisfied. Seems like it's easier to break my anchor rope than it is to break the fishing line. I use a Palomar knot.
    Fish on!:D

3 Bald Stooges of Percy Priest Lake - Co Founder

Post Thanks / Like

I use Power Pro 15/6, I think that's what it is. Anyway it is the diameter of 6# mono. I use a Palomer knot and then put an overhand knot on top of that. Have had real good luck with it. I've been using it Walleye fishing on the Mississippi River and have not had any problems breaking off in the zebra mussels and rocks. As a matter of fact most of the time it will straighten the hook instead of break the line. I gave up on fireline. That's my 2 cents worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it actually breaking or is your tag line to short and slipping out ? I also use it for bass fishing frogs in the heavy stuff. Can throw it a mile with that stuff. I do use heavier line and tie the same knot. If time permits when I retie I will put a drop of super glue on the knot.

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you use a palomar knot you will be just fine.....the braided lines are very strong...I rarely break off as my hooks straighten out and come free before I could even break the line...I bet your knots are slipping.

Post Thanks / Like

On my dropper loops, there is no tag end...

Post Thanks / Like

I know using power pro that you cannot use a loop knot. You have to use the palomar knot.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stren

I use Stren Super Braid to vertical jig. I have had problems with the line slipping on the spool. As far as it breaking try a different knot. I always straighten out a hook before it breaks. You can pull up and entire brush pile if your knot is good. I sometimes wish it would break, it's almost to strong. I do like the sensitivty of it though.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

i had the same problem when i switched over to fireline. now it is on all my rods except my trout rod because that has flourocarbon on it. (don't believe what anyone says, trout will see fireline, even the new crystal color) anyway, your knot is slipping. the only knots that will work with that line are palomar and improved clinch. personally, i have had much better success with the clinch knot, even though the box tells you to use palomar.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

it is not actually a dropper loop, technically.

The knots that are breaking are the loops I tie in the middle of my line to attach my jigs & hooks, with my weight at the end of the line.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast