Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: First time dock shooting

Post Thanks / Like

Default First time dock shooting

Yesterday I went dock shooting for the first time. I had watched a few videos of guys demonstrating their seemingly Ninja dock shooting skills and thought I'd give it try. I had a new ultra light rod and reel with 6lb line and had a great time! I've got a long way to go but I caught 3 bass (one got away) and several crappie that were under this one dock. I can't wait to get back out there.

Name:  1958225_10154167476085585_1461123948649395563_n.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  54.2 KB
    Likes Firebug2006 LIKED above post

Luvfatslabs is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch, love shootin docks
    Good luck and good fishing

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It's definitely a fun way to fish, as well as a pretty good method for getting Crappie out from under docks.
    Do a Advanced Search on this site ... key word "shooting" ... and weed through the results, looking for thread titles that are obviously about "dock" shooting. Lots of good info in some of those threads. You can put my User ID name in the "User Name" blank, also ... as I've posted a lot of info on the subject, and replied to many others.

Practice will make your shooting skills better, especially when water levels are close to the bottom edge of the dock. Using solid body plastics on your jig head will help you "skip" the jig way back under the docks, and that can be a critical key to getting your jig to the fish ... especially on the bigger docks, since they like to hang in the darkest shade the dock has to offer.

And if you have docks with more than 12-15' of water under them ... you might also want to give this method a try - http://www.crappie.com/articles/crappiepappy.htm - even if it's only used after you've finished shooting the dock. And it works very well on bridge pillars, too

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CP!!

Post Thanks / Like

Never tried this method as I haven't had much time to get out and fish the last few years. Definitely going to have to do this!