Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: @#$ TO Buy Sit on Top or Inside??

Post Thanks / Like

Default @#$ TO Buy Sit on Top or Inside??

I like to buy a Kayak but can't decide on sit on top or inside? I see on line a lot of anglers using sit on top type kayaks are they any better besides getting in an out of the kayak? I'm over weight at 5'4 and 260lb 54 year old with a disable bad leg. I've been looking at the Ascent F10 from Bass Pro Shop and like the big open cock pit and also look at there 12 footers but looks a little heavy for me to carry {would have to drag it with carrying kit}.
    So I ask what are your likes an dislike on sitting inside or on top?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Steve here I have an asend kayak 11"3' I weight is 210 5'6" I am in a sit on top. I will be fishing on lake on monday If you would like to test ride mine let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Traditional sit-in--- advantages: boat weighs less, you stay drier (less paddle dripping on you), sun is blocked off your legs, and is warmer (especially noticeable if you paddle in colder months). Disadvantages: you are locked in one sitting position, sits very low, not much easily accessible storage space

SOT--- advantages: taller seat (and ability to change seating positions), easier to access rods/tackle, great visibility due to higher stance, easier to get on and off the boat, less likely to snag on gear if you do turn over. Disadvantage: wetter, catches wind easier, more exposure to weather (sun and cold), easier to drop something into the water, boat weighs more.

The newer hybrids offer some of the advantages of both. I would look hard at the Jackson Kilroy and the Wilderness System Commanders. But like any kayak, you really need to get out there and demo several. We are all shaped different and have different demands on what we need the kayak to be able to do.
    Likes Eaglehorse, RetiredRR LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't bought a yak yet but from what I have learned on here by listening to yak owners that I have talked to I plan to get a SOT. Guess you could say I just like being up a smidge higher.
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

In my 27 years of kayak angling I have tried a lot of kayak variations, and for me, the hybrid design, and in particular the Native Watercraft Ultimate series is perfect. The only real downside I would say could be the weight. I use the 14.5 foot Ultimate, and it weighs in at around 50 pounds, so it is a bit heavy. Other than that I have seen absolutely no negatives to this craft. I am now in my 7th year using my first Ultimate and it has never had a problem. Hull is still in great shape. Seats are holding up excellent. I really couldn't ask for more. Plus all my stuff stays dry, inside the kayak, and there is plenty of room to stretch the legs as I am not confined to a cockpit.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D
    Likes RetiredRR, TurboDan LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thirty years and 10 kayaks later, considering all the pros and cons of sink versus sot, I'm a sot kayaker. If I ever upgrade, it would be to a pedal kayak. Very happy
    with my Wilderness System Ride 135. Good luck and hope you take every opportunity to test before you purchase.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Likes TurboDan LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have an Ascend FS10 - This is my second year in it. I really enjoy it. The seat is amazing and it is a very comfortable kayak. Stable to - if my legs get a bit stiff, I just flop them out on the top deck and lean back. Thers pleanty of room - and I'm 6,4 210lbs. I have been kayaking for 20+ years and I have had a bunch of kayaks this is one is my favorite.
    I went with the FS10 sit in because I live in Upstate NY. And in NY the waters I fish tend to be very cold. I can fish in this kayak very early in the spring and into early winter.
    Plus the weight was a big factor for me.Ifish everything from the big Finger Lakes to the small streams and rivers areound the area. I hope this helps and good luck to you.
    Name:  100_5480A.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  58.5 KBName:  100_5481A.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  48.4 KB
    Wishing you Blue Skies and Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

This post is exactly why I like this website so much. It is so cool to see all the information that is given honestly and freely to other members. When it comes to kayaking, I often think what a difficult choice to it might be for those who are just starting to get into kayak angling. To avid kayak anglers like myself and several others on this forum, we are passionate about our sport and the gear we choose to use. We each have our personal favorites and what has become obvious over the years is that there is no one specific kayak for any given angler. Even though others might not agree with my personal favorites, and likewise for me, I believe that their rigs are exactly what they need for their personal situation and that it could work just as well for someone else as would my personal preference. Good luck inkslinger in your quest for a new kayak. And thanks to everyone who is always willing to share their information.
    Likes bfish, NYHellbender, RetiredRR, Eaglehorse LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NYHellbender View Post
    I have an Ascend FS10 - This is my second year in it. I really enjoy it. The seat is amazing and it is a very comfortable kayak. Stable to - if my legs get a bit stiff, I just flop them out on the top deck and lean back. Thers pleanty of room - and I'm 6,4 210lbs. I have been kayaking for 20+ years and I have had a bunch of kayaks this is one is my favorite.
    I went with the FS10 sit in because I live in Upstate NY. And in NY the waters I fish tend to be very cold. I can fish in this kayak very early in the spring and into early winter.
    Plus the weight was a big factor for me.Ifish everything from the big Finger Lakes to the small streams and rivers areound the area. I hope this helps and good luck to you.
    Name:  100_5480A.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  58.5 KBName:  100_5481A.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  48.4 KB
    That's a nice looking rig there NYHellbender
    Likes NYHellbender LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have only had SOT, but like NYHellbender setup. low in the water and stable. Don't forget to look on Craigslist for used. Might find a really good deal. doesn't hurt to have two and take a friend with you.

Danny
    - dan aka "Fishfried"

“Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.” ― Grandma Moses

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast