Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: what is the best jig for shooting docks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default what is the best jig for shooting docks?

today was my first day shooting docks and i really liked it. I notice that some jigs skip on top of water better than some, what are some of the jigs that you guys have tried and skips good?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's what I use :

Panfish Assassin Tiny Shad
    Crappie Pro Solid Body Tube
    Southern Pro Crappie Slug
    Custom made solid body minnow shaped plastic
    Bobby Garland Baby Shad
    most solid body plastics (stingers, paddletails, shad/minnow shaped bodies)

Usually use a 1/16oz jig head, but have used 1/32oz. Those that started me in dock shooting used a 1/24oz jig head.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Any tips for technique? Frequently my jig doesn't seem to flow smoothly towards my intended location even though I don't see/feel any line hanging up in the guides. Is it better to use more pressure or less pressure? My flexible rod seems to shoot better than my slightly stiffer rod.

Post Thanks / Like

go to You tube and type in dock shooting for crappie. you will get plenty of good videos that cover technique and equipment recommendations. When I first heard of the technique, this is what I did and I learned a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

the one that catches fish for you...

Post Thanks / Like

Shooting docks is my favorite way to catch crappie & this year I've modified/changed my equipment. I started out using a 4 1/2' Micro-Spin combo with 6# Suffix Siege Neon Tangerine. That was a great setup to learn with. Then I upgraded from the UL rod to a Pro Angler 4 1/2' Dock Shooter with a fast tip & considerable backbone. That was my rig for several years but this year I moved to a 7' Bonehead Light Action and I'm very impressed! Now I know none of this really answered the question but I believe the rod/reel/line setup you use is as important as the bait itself. For me, the very best bait to shoot up under a boathouse or dock is a #6 sickle hook on a 1/16oz round head jig with a 1" Slab Bandit plastic bait (Baby Shad type). This bait will shoot farther, sink slower and swim truer than any I've tried, also, they will Skip across the water better than a tube or even a stinger. That's my 2cents anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pepop View Post
    Shooting docks is my favorite way to catch crappie & this year I've modified/changed my equipment. I started out using a 4 1/2' Micro-Spin combo with 6# Suffix Siege Neon Tangerine. That was a great setup to learn with. Then I upgraded from the UL rod to a Pro Angler 4 1/2' Dock Shooter with a fast tip & considerable backbone. That was my rig for several years but this year I moved to a 7' Bonehead Light Action and I'm very impressed! Now I know none of this really answered the question but I believe the rod/reel/line setup you use is as important as the bait itself. For me, the very best bait to shoot up under a boathouse or dock is a #6 sickle hook on a 1/16oz round head jig with a 1" Slab Bandit plastic bait (Baby Shad type). This bait will shoot farther, sink slower and swim truer than any I've tried, also, they will Skip across the water better than a tube or even a stinger. That's my 2cents anyway.

Sounds like a winner to me
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday was my first day to try dock shooting. I watched a lot of videos about a month ago on youtube and got myself an ultralight rod and reel combo and used 6lb test. I then put on a 1/16 ounce jig head with a plastic bait. I then practiced in the hallway of our house. I got to the point where I could hit a target at the end of the hall consistently then I opened the door which was my sons bedroom and practiced till I could shoot it down the hall and into a small opening under his bed! LOL! I wish I could remember all the videos I watched but one guy said to get down as low as possible to let the bait shoot as parallel to the water as possible. That tip helped me a bunch. Also next time I'll pack some weedless jig heads because I got hung up quite a bit. for me I would let the line stop about a foot above the reel. That was the comfortable length of line for me personally.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightest heads I can get away with, usually 1/32, and a bobby garland baby shad does it for me. I feel the flatter sides help skip the bait further than the rounder bodies.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around