Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jigging reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigging reels

OK guys, I have a question. I have a couple long jig poles and have tried a plethora of reels. I think I have finally found a good setup. I would like your opinions.
    What I'm using now is made by eagle claw and it is called an inline ice reel. It is basically a fly reel with a multiplied retrieve ratio, drag, and a free spool button. It pulls a little over 15 inches per turn and free spools easily enough to drop the tiniest of jigs.
    The best part of this is they can be had for about 22-25 bucks.
    Here is a pic
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1400809315018.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  69.3 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1400809334527.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  57.7 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1400809356039.jpg
Views: 2191
Size:  72.0 KB
    Likes Tom 513 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a nice looking reel. It needs some fish slime on it though.
    Lets go soak a line. Pat

Post Thanks / Like

Its had pleanty as I used it all winter on one of my ice rigs as well. All these were caught on one of these reels.Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1400813645986.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  94.1 KB

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

IT'S LIGHT , IT WORKS , WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE ?

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a nice looking reel and the first time I've seen pictures of one up close. The one thing I see that I don't like about it as a jigging reel is the large handle and star drag. I can see where they would be useful for ice fishing where you have to reel in your fish. For true jig fishing where you very seldom need to reel in your fish and you're dipping a jig in and around brush, downfalls, or weed lines using you off hand to hold the line to control depth, those large handles and star drag would be in the way and you'd be always catching your line on them. I use a similar reel, the Solo Reel by Mr Crappie, which has but a small handle which is not a problem with catching the line on and it also has a drag. It's probably not quite to the quality of the Eagle Claw reel as it's made strictly for jigging and works well. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the Eagle Claw reel, but for my jigging needs I like the design of the Solo.

"gene"

"G" Gone but not forgotten!!
    Likes FIN LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Gene I looked at the solo and went the way I did for two reasons. One was to be able to reel down to a snag and get my jig back quicker. Two was the push button free spool for setting my line length quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

nice reel. Where did ya get that? Not much down here for ice fishing except the anual shipment that Gander Mountain seems to put out evrry fall.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 05-23-2014 at 08:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I got three of these this year. I love em , love em, love em. And they're $12.BNM BAN01 bout the size of a 1/2 dollar.Very smooth dragName:  reel.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  3.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Do they have a free spool? Also the ones I'm using come in crappies favorite color.....Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1400896390161.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  123.2 KB