Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Planer Boards

Post Thanks / Like

Default Planer Boards

If you are running some bandit 300 series crankbaits behind planer boards. How deep are they actually diving with 20ft of line out running at 1mph? Is there a formula somewhere to figure this out?
    Likes Tommy Skarlis LIKED above post

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there is a chart. Whether it is behind a planer board or not, it will still dive the same depth. I don't think at 1mph you'll get the action that you want with a 300. If you try running faster than that with an inline, you may have problems with the line coming out of the release. I haven't run them that much, so someone else with more experience could probably give more advice.

Here's the link to the charts.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/showt...00-depth-chart
    Last edited by RCC; 05-22-2014 at 05:57 PM.
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The depth is the same if the bait is running behind a board or off your rod tip. The Troller's Bible chart will tell you. Somebody has a link for Bandits. All the board is doing is getting the bait off to the side of the boat.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the OR34 out yesterday caught 8 off the planer boards. I was just wandering if they were actually running at the right depth. I am new to using these and have a lot to learn.

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

According to the chart, that should have been about 7ft with 20 feet of line. You did good.
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

Post Thanks / Like

I love using the offshore mini planers with my bandit 300's. My normal summer time speed is 2.5 to 2.8 mph with leads as short as 20 feet or as long as 80 feet depending on where the fish are. Try speeding up and see if it works for you. I did do the up grade to the OR-16 snap weight clip on the rear and I set the the front yellow clip to the light setting and do the line twist like Mark Romamick shows in his you tube video. and Dude it works great.

I think this is the link for his video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcBT_Z-lUvs

titled; Rigging and Setting Off Shore Tackle's OR-34 Mini Planer Board
    Likes Tommy Skarlis LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to pay attention to - if you are running a rod "flat" off the boat (no planer board) that if you want to duplicate that amount of line out and attach a planer board - you need to know approximately how much line is out from where the line enters the water - not the rod tip. There are times that a rod flat off of the boat will have 20 to 30 feet of line out before the line enters the water. Example: 100 feet of line out, 20 feet before line enters water - need to set out 80 feet of line and attach planer board.
    Take a senior or a kid fishing soon!