Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: finding trees that I sunk.

Post Thanks / Like

Default finding trees that I sunk.

I fish a lake that has a littel structor around floating boat docks. Thats about it hardley anything in the main body of the lake. The lake has a healthy population of white crappie with a few black . I was wondering if there was say some cedar or small hardwood trees sunken in some parts of the main lake. Its a pretty shallow lake 30 feet max. Do you guys think the crappie would suppend over the trees. . And if so, does a guy jusy make these trees with gps. . Seems like it might be hard finding these trees later. What would you do go to your gps marks thens throw a jig till you hit structure , then throw marker buoy on that spot. I was thinking about buying cheap aqua view and hooking camera on say a long piece of pvc and motoring around till I see limbs or branches then throwing buoy. The reason I say this is bacause I think a couple of 6 foot or 8 foot trees would be extremely hard to find if gps is only accurate to say 6 or 10 feet. Am I over thinking it. ?

Post Thanks / Like

timm back in the day gps was a bugger due to the off set. todays units, be it in the boat or hand held will do the job quite nicely.

In reference to dropping structure. You want to place the structure in locations that will hold fish for that time of year. Winter locations will be out in the deeper part of the lake where summer and fall will be shallower. If you have a map of the lake try to find irregular features...drops, points humps ect. More than likely the fish are already using these location during certain times of the year and you are wanting to just spice them up with cover to give them a better holding area...basically put them where you want them within that area.

When you do your drop mark the location on GPS, I sometimes use a marker..drop my structure then that will insure I get a good GPS location. Then pull your marker and go do the next one.

When it's time to fish I move toward the waypoint into the wind. Just before I get to it I stop and make cast, the wind will keep you from running over it if it's in shallow water and bumping the TM will put you back in place. On my deeper structure I will run over the waypoint to see if it's holding fish. If it is I toss a marker to the right of the boat (away from the structure but inline) to use as a reference and then use a bottom bounce rig or heaver jig to work the structure.

Save your money on the camera and get a GPS unit, they can be had for less than a camera now a days and are far more valuable on the water. I have both and know which one I would get rid of if I had too.

Hope this helps ya out and let us know how it goes...good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Also remember to check if it is legal to place structure in the lake. Some do not allow. Wouldn't want to see you get a ticket from the game warden!
    I always put my brush piles next to points, drop offs and sometimes close to but not real close to other structure. This pulls the fish off the normal structure to your brush pile and others would not know it is there unless they scan more area..
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Line two distant objects up with where you plan on dropping it. Then turn 90 degrees and line 2 more objects up. drop it where the 2 lines intersect. to return to your cover just get on one of the 2 lines and when you get to where the other 2 objects line up the top will be under you. it's called triangulation.
    Last edited by Gomer Snerd; 05-22-2014 at 12:32 PM.
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.

Post Thanks / Like

Another old trick, is to put a pill bottle on mono and tie to a rock over the pile. You set the line so the bottle is a few inches below the surface, so you have to be on top of it to see it. The water level needs to be fairly consistent and a not too heavily traveled area.

Post Thanks / Like

Get gps with dept finder of some type,very easy to come back to it,slabback is on the money,only different,i throw out marker up wind to brush,that way you will always be looking in front of you at the marker,i feel like he do that also
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thank for the advice.