Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shooting docks

Post Thanks / Like

Default shooting docks

been flipping & pitch'n jigs around docks for years so I know some nice slabs hang out under 'em- but keep hearing bout shooting docks so went on youtube-- man why didn't I think of that!?! that'll reach them spots I couldn't! went & bought me a rod this evening for shooting with - cut the hook off an old jig & been outside tearing up an 8" pie plate out to 12-15 yrds in the semi dark of the patio- this is gona be fun!! - any suggestions?
    My wife swears I only do enough surveying to support my hunting & fishing because I'm too busy hunting & fishing !

Post Thanks / Like

Search the forum for dock shooting threads to get some more info/tips. Some plastics will bounce/skip back further under the docks, so aim right at the front edge of the dock and it will skip back further where they hide from the heat.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

no where near an expert in this type of crappie fishing however, my learning curve has sharply spiked with time on water shooting...head weight is critical and if you shoot marabou or soft plastic..plastic is the best for skipping Waaaaay under the docks and some flat sided baits do better than others...1/24th head I found is the perfect weight!!!for me!
    A Proud member of Lake Allatoona and Lake Weiss (Team Geezer)

Post Thanks / Like

low docks,4 lb test,i know you like the pink head white hair,but as said ,go to plastic like a bgss or something like that for skipping and rod low to water,the aim is in the line from jig to rod tip and not as many say in rod,i do not let it skip much beause at bugs if it boune it many times will hang on ribbits on docks,you know that I use my skinnie white stinger which do not skib as good as bigger baits but when fishing is slow it will out fish any bait I seen,1/32 round head,minnow head dig into water.maybe we can go soon after dr find my problem,if not my head it is a few docks that is 1 to 1 1/2 inches that I shoot that has good fish under it but if you skip it will bounce up and not go far so have to put jig at water and then shoot
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest mistake people make in shooting docks is the angle of the line on release. Remember that when you bow your rod to pull back the bait before release, look at your line from the tip to your hand and make that line your direction and aim for your jig. In other words the imaginary line that extends out from your hand to the tip of your rod. It will always be a straight line release to the point where you want your jig to land.
    People make the mistake and try to aim the rod instead of the line.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Likes genec LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

oh by the way,what length rod did you get,i use 5 1/2 cheerywood,have use longer rods ,have watch a few that use longer rods and and with their age could not hold it steady enough for accuracy,also as I said also learn how to shoot low without hitting water on those days when water is a little choppy because it will bounce to the angle of the chop of water it hit and may bounce straight up.by you still being a young and steady hand guy a 6 will be fine.learn to shoot slip also,this spring I was shooting a dock with a lift and had to shoot over first lift and stop before second lift,could not get a bite beause before it went down muh I had to wind up to not catch second lift so I decided to use a slip float and first go I shot it to second lift and let it sink,wamb the biggest fish of the day,shot back and caught more,wife could not shoot float enough to get back there,so practice,pratice,pratice,i even shoot much of the time at bp to keep me in pratice
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

keep the hook point aimed away from your finger/hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Practice practice and practice and all of the above

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys worked on the patio last nite & this morning gona do some more this afternoon- its kinda like instinctive bow shooting & I used to be pretty good at that- gene I bought a mr crappie im6 5 1/2' light action put 6 lb on it last nite- think I out change to 4 lb? use 4 on my jigging poles but figured 6 might be more durable rubbing agint docks- I believe this is gona be fun!!
    My wife swears I only do enough surveying to support my hunting & fishing because I'm too busy hunting & fishing !

Post Thanks / Like

you want hold that jig hook incorrectly but one time, i promise....
    DEAD AS FRIED CHICKEN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast