Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Water like gin in the Gravois Arm of LOZ and Cranking

Post Thanks / Like

Default Water like gin in the Gravois Arm of LOZ and Cranking

Big time clear water here on the Gravois as you can see down at least 12 feet if the light is just right. Brush and artificial fish attractors can easily be seen in many areas.The bass have been on the beds but are spooked easily. The crappie bite has really been on and off and on again all spring. Water warming up and cooling down messed up a lot of fishing trips for those who only were able to fish a day or two at a time unless they hit it just right. This super clear water made fishing tough when we fished Lake Norfork in Arkansas years ago when fishing for crappie in the spring. Zebra mussels anyone?

Has anyone been doing any good cranking yet this spring? I tried it before and during the crappie spawn with little luck.
    Regards
    Husker
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

I've been a couple of times in the dead of summer at KY lake and it was very good. What little I know about cranking is what I read on here, mostly on the 'sissippi board. It seems to me most of it is done in the summer. You can ask some guys over there. I think it is probably too early. But I don't know.
    Team Double D - " We're not famous, but we should be."

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Double D, it probably is too early. Water temps are in the upper 60's, lower 70's, but will warm up quickly with the forecast. Lot's of guys do pull cranks in this part of the lake as well as the rest of the lake, but this year's clear water may dictate using deeper cranks at least in the middle of the day. Bandit 300 instead of the 200 and 100 for sure. Wiggle Warts work well, too. Did have good luck early last year but have to troll a little slower in the cooler water.
    Regards,
    Husker
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck