Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions for the Spider Riggers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions for the Spider Riggers

I think most are using a strong line to go down to your spider to a snap & swivel.... and then using a single or double jig / hook setup .

1st question what pound test and type of line are you using for your terminal tackle (where the hooks are) also what type of line, mono, flouro, or braid.

2nd question do you prefer to use an egg sinker and have it between your first and second hook, or do you prefer to use a bank type sinker at the end of the line with your two hooks / jigs rigged with dropper loops above it.

3rd question what pound test do you like using for your main line

Thanks.
    "The system may fail you, but don't fail yourself...... get better."

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 10 lb. high vis mono for main line and also the rig....I rig Capps and Coleman style with egg sinker between the two jigs. I loop the line through the egg sinker 4 times to hold it in place.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I use a two jig one on loop about 18" above one tied palmer knot both jigs 1/8 heads or 1/16 depending on wind. 6 lb Hi vis.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Same as G except I use 6lb flourocarbon on mine.

Post Thanks / Like

15lb hi-vis braid for main line. 8lb fluoro to business end. Capps and Coleman style for me. I wanna try the drop shot style but dont know how to store the leaders without having a mess of a tangle. Any suggestions?
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gabepeeps View Post
    15lb hi-vis braid for main line. 8lb fluoro to business end. Capps and Coleman style for me. I wanna try the drop shot style but dont know how to store the leaders without having a mess of a tangle. Any suggestions?
    i have been using a rig like the drop shot style.. (except i just use a small bank sinker 1/2 or 3/8 on a snap swivel at the end of the line... then up to my two jigs which are on the line via dropper loops. Currently trying both 12lb mono and 6lb flouro (am just curious is there is gonna be a difference)

to store extra one... i cut up a pool noodle into 1 foot secition... then punched a hole in the noodle... pushed the sinker in there... and then started wrapping line around and hooks into noodle.

Post Thanks / Like

Same as G, but I use 8# Hi vis mono on main line, started with 6# flouro, and found it got tangled too much, went to 14# flouro and its better, I use a 3 way barrel swivel #10 I think, and found a heavier then 3/8" egg sinker pegged works well, google Capps and Colman, they are the guys who made it popular. I just started spider rigging this Spring and love it, first time out by myself useing 2 double minnow rigs on 14ft Southern crappie poles, I caught around 70, with two doubles. Not many guys up North here in Ohio fish this way, and I am sure I am opening some eyes to it. Good luck and carefull its habit forming.
    Just read Prowers post, and yeah yeah, I cut up a pool noodle, in 14" pieces, pre tie my rigs and write the weight on a piece of duct tape, then carry them in a 5 gallon bucket, if its too windy You can use the bucket as a wind sock too, works for me!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a drop style as well, use a loop knot at the top and a snap swivel at the end for the weight, I can change weights easy that way. Use a pool noodle with a floral pin in the loop knot and then wrap it to the end and open the snap swivel and hook it in the noodle.
    10 pound mono hi vis on the main line and something clear on the drop in the 10 pound range.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

Who is using dropper loop knots to add in there jigs hooks when using a drop shot style rig... I am noticing that if i make the dropper loop about 3 inches long it does a great job (even with only the 6 lb flouro) of holding the bait away from the line. The key seems to be getting at least 4 or 5 turns on the dropper loop... less than that and it wont stay that way.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/dropper-loop/

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Mainline is 15lb Berkley Big Game Florescent green down to 15lb Seagar flourocarbon on a Snake n da brush® rig...

IMO ...light weight line for crappie fishing is a misnomer... (When the tactic is spider riggin)...

Heavier line means more bait time in the water...instead of replacing broken off tackle...

Straighten hook, reshape hook, rebait hook...back in the strike zone...15 seconds...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 05-20-2014 at 06:47 AM.
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor
    Likes Countrytime LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast