Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wanting a new trolling motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wanting a new trolling motor

Im wanting a new foot controlled trolling motor for my 14x48 alumacraft ive got a motor guide on it but the foot pedal is never in a comfortable position and im a big guy and im wanting something more user friendly any ideas would be appreciated. ...oh and what size would you recommendName:  uploadfromtaptalk1400467258795.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  51.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

i would use a 40 or 45 lb thrust minnkota,,foot controlled of course. the reason for the minn kota over motor guide is the prop is so much bigger and really propells the boat good..and with your boat a 12 volt is all you need take care good fishing

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Minnkota 55lb. 12 volt would work just fine.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I ran a MinnKotta Maxxum 55 pound thrust on my 1648 Roughneck then put it on my 1860 Horizon when I bought it. Until I began pretty much exclusively trolling, it was plenty of motor. I then went to a PowerDriveV2 55 pound on the Horizon. Wasn't happy until I went to the Terrova 80 iPilot.

For your boat, I would think the Maxxum 55 would be the best choice.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

You don't provide the methods or styles of fishing you prefer, so for trolling or longlinging preferences, the PDV2 with remote (can not use the foot pedal with the remote) or the Terrova, can use the foot pedal with remote, both with either auto pilot/co-pilot or IPilot. The copilot or IP option will hold a course for you, similar to cruise control, no experience with the PD, but search the forum here and you find opinions. I have the Terrova with IP, great set up. A 55#'r/12v will work good on your boat. If you fish brush piles, etc., people seem to prefer the cable steer models as the pedal input is faster for making corrections or adjustments when holding position. Electric steer is slower to react and can be frustrating based on comments I've read. I longline the majority of the time, so the Terrova was my choice.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

MotorGuide is a good trolling motor. I have 47 lb thrust and the foot pedal can be positioned the way you want and you can screw it to the deck to secure it in one place. You could go for the I-Pilot from Minn Kota which is remote controlled but is way more expensive. All foot pedals will have the heavy gauge wire coming off it to battery which causes the cord to want to reposition the foot pedal but securing it to deck makes it work.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

50 or 55 pound v2 with I pilot. You don't need a foot pedal.

Post Thanks / Like

I Bought the Terrova this year for my ranger . Love it has really helped the long line troll but one issue I never thought of? The way it stick way out over the bow . It seams when I pull in my dock and the water level is down gona bang the motor bracket into the dock? Got to figure out some type of protective custion for it. Just my .02. Moter really frees you to do so much more!!!
    A Proud member of Lake Allatoona and Lake Weiss (Team Geezer)