Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shade loving Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shade loving Crappie

I didnt realize it until today but Crappie like Small mouth hang out in the shade right on the edge of shade/sunlight. in Sw Ohio today we had a very cold morning with clear skys, we caught around 125 (3 guys) and 85% were caught along the banks just along the shade/sun line, I guess they watch for food from the shade then attack, I know they killed 5 dozen minnows!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good time

Post Thanks / Like

for shallow jigging in the back of coves I treat the shade line just like structure- slip the jig in & work it parallel to the shade line - i catch a lota fish do'n that
    My wife swears I only do enough surveying to support my hunting & fishing because I'm too busy hunting & fishing !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1314 View Post
    for shallow jigging in the back of coves I treat the shade line just like structure- slip the jig in & work it parallel to the shade line - i catch a lota fish do'n that
    Yeah exactly it was incredable if you casted 3ft into the sun, no bite, 3ft into the shade and it was nonstop, I might add we were fishing minnows under slip bobbers 2ft to 4ft down. This may be the second best way to fish for crappie next to spider rigging, which Ive discovered this Spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you try other places, the same distance off the shore, where it was sunny?

Our fish up here are just post-spawn and hugging the shore. If you are 2 feet out too far you don't get a bite. Could it have been a coincidence that the shade line was that exact distance out?

I've never seen crappies lay in the shade this early in the year. Come July they will be thick in the shade.

Just playing devils advocate is all.

Post Thanks / Like

all I use is jigs & when they'r in the shallows its been a constant for me for years
    My wife swears I only do enough surveying to support my hunting & fishing because I'm too busy hunting & fishing !

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin, We fished the whole West shore of a 650 acre lake, actually looked for trees that casted shade on the water, so it was different distances off of the shore. Tonight while cleaning them I noticed most the eggs were bright yellow, which I was told is a sign that they are ready to spawn. In S Ohio the spawn is late, as I would guess it is most every where with what seemed to be a endless Winter, it was actually 37 degrees when we got on the lake at 6:00am, next weekend they will open the pools in the area? go figure
    Hunter, I usually start the day with minnows and end with jigs, maybe when I get to be a better crappie fisherman I'll use only jigs! I got back into fishing a couple years ago, and learning is half the fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom ive only been a shallows guy so im trying to learn deeper methods now to extend my season- working on long line trolling- it plum comical to watch- but for 25 years of working em in the shallows for that 6 week +/- run forget your minnows & work them jigs- when they'r in 2-6 fow on the banks I wouldn't trade all the minnows in the world for a good 1/32 oz pink head white marabou tail jig- but I gota buy a minnow bucket now trying to learn trolling - lol- !!

Post Thanks / Like

fish much of the time relate to shade ,it is like standing in a shadow and looking into light,you can see them easy and it is harder for them to see you by them being in the light,will work anytime of year on certain days when they are feeding and at other times when not feeding thet will get as far in dark as they can but will still eat if bait is close to them but will not run out far and get it,like under docks,most all creatures look for a atvantage for surviving
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

Any pictures of those Buckeye Crappie???
    Wishing you Blue Skies and Tight Lines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast