Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon boat or fiberglass?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jon boat or fiberglass?

Maybe some of you fellas can help me a little, i have a 17' 1978 cajun fish ski boat and i been thinking about trying out a lighter boat, something easier to tow and load. Thought about a Jon boat, should i stay with what i have or do i try a jon boat. The boat i have is fully restored, new trolling motor, and a 1979 100 hp evinrude motor. I usually fish Baden lake, lake hickory and Norman occasionally. Crappie fishing only. What do y'all think? A lighter boat is cheaper than a bigger truck.

Post Thanks / Like

While there is nothing like a new boat, my main consideration would be wind. Aluminum, while lighter to tow, will be harder to manage in the wind. Of course, if you anchor fish all the time, it doesn't matter. Loading an aluminum boat back onto the trailer can be a challenge in a stiff breeze, also. One thing, though, if you go with aluminum, go with .100", instead of .80" thickness. Of course, it makes the boat more heavier, but also a bit stronger. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Crewmax42 has a good point, plus aluminum boats are not as stable in the water as a fiberglass boat, and much harder to be quite in. You may want to go with a lighter fiberglass boat maybe a 15' bass all fish n ski boats are heavier than most bass boats in the same length. We use my brothers Ebbtide 15' bass most of the time it loads good has enough room for 2 and we pull it with his astro van a v6 auto trans. does just fine. Another thing if you ever knock a hole in a fiberglass boat you can fix and paint it and never know it much with a good job. You cant fix an aluminum boat till you wont notice it. Here's a pic. of the boat we use we are at high rock pulled it from hickory.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing Brothers View Post
    Crewmax42 has a good point, plus aluminum boats are not as stable in the water as a fiberglass boat, and much harder to be quite in. You may want to go with a lighter fiberglass boat maybe a 15' bass all fish n ski boats are heavier than most bass boats in the same length. We use my brothers Ebbtide 15' bass most of the time it loads good has enough room for 2 and we pull it with his astro van a v6 auto trans. does just fine. Another thing if you ever knock a hole in a fiberglass boat you can fix and paint it and never know it much with a good job. You cant fix an aluminum boat till you wont notice it. Here's a pic. of the boat we use we are at high rock pulled it from hickory.
    Good points, i don't anchor, i use the trolling motor most of the time but i never thought about the wind though, I'll have to give that some more thought. Defiantly. Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum for shallow spring fishing. Other than that I'd rather have fiberglass. I use a small bass hunter plastic boat on small water. Very quiet. When I'm in it the aluminum boats around me are very loud. Don't notice how loud aluminum is when you are in it. Even ripples on the water are loud. I don't have a big fiberglass boat but I'm thinking of adding a 17' or bigger fish and ski to my fleet sometime in the future. My aluminum boat is a 16/48 basstracker that I converted to tiller with all aluminum floor and front deck. It'll fly with a 40 yamaha, but beat you to death in a light chop. It's also impossible to be quite in anything other than flat water.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, i think I'll just stay with my cajun.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Now that we stomped that idea flat...

Quote Originally Posted by mark adams View Post
    Thanks guys, i think I'll just stay with my cajun.
    ...and you're looking at new trucks, I was remembering a jon boat that a friend had that had tiller steering mounted up from near the bow. That was a fun boat to drive because you have the whole lake in front of you. P ull back to turn right, forward to go left. T he weight forward made the boat more stable crossing wakes. I am surprised we don't see more of these.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it is all about what each has a preference for. I have had a few fiberglass boats, and now own a 19' aluminum and really like it. As for fishing in the wind a good trolling motor is a must, no doubt. As far as stability and ride ain't no difference to me, when it's rough it's rough and when it's calm it's smooth. I guess it is what you prefer, but my vote goes to aluminum.
    Difference between day and night: Day= one rod, one jig/Night= Many rods & a bucket full of minners

Post Thanks / Like

While lighter is Great, louder not so much. I would like to try an aluminum, might check into that this week. Know a guy that might let me try his out. In the mean time Baden bound tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

The cost of a new boat will buy lots of gas, oil, and bait. The cost of outfitting a new boat is many times overlooked. Spend a little and help the old boat fish better. Save a lot. More for the wife to spend on another pair of shoes. Wife happy = fish more. My 2 cents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast