Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Boats and Winter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boats and Winter

Is it okay to leave your boat outside for the winter. What type of maintenence should I do to it?
    Its a 73 chrylser.
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

The number one thing to do in my opinion is, make absolutely sure there is no water in the lower unit. I have made it a habit of draining and refilling the lower unit in the fall. At least that way I know there will be no water in the unit plus,, It will be ready for spring.
    I see your from AL. so I'm not sure if you would have a freeze problem or not, but leaving water in the lower unit will certainly rust bearings and gears.

I like to add Sta-Bil to the gas and then run the motor.

Drain the carbs,, and I like to fog the motor. That's not really necessary, if it's not going to set an extremely long time, but I still do it.

Pull the drain plug, tilt the boat as to drain out any water and cover the boat up. I like to leave ventilation to keep my boat from becoming musty.

Then I pack the wheel bearings and lube the trailer. I'm all set for spring.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I Do About The Same

Quote Originally Posted by FisherMike
    The number one thing to do in my opinion is, make absolutely sure there is no water in the lower unit. I have made it a habit of draining and refilling the lower unit in the fall. At least that way I know there will be no water in the unit plus,, It will be ready for spring.
    I see your from AL. so I'm not sure if you would have a freeze problem or not, but leaving water in the lower unit will certainly rust bearings and gears.

I like to add Sta-Bil to the gas and then run the motor.

Drain the carbs,, and I like to fog the motor. That's not really necessary, if it's not going to set an extremely long time, but I still do it.

Pull the drain plug, tilt the boat as to drain out any water and cover the boat up. I like to leave ventilation to keep my boat from becoming musty.

Then I pack the wheel bearings and lube the trailer. I'm all set for spring.
    Do you make house calls? And what do you charge?

Now that's a guy that knows how to take care of his boat!

I fish all winter but I still service my baby!
    :D
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I think running it at least a couple times a month is the best thing for it. And keep your battery charged up.

Of course, keep up with the regular PM stuff like mentioned above.

Stabil is good stuff. I use it ALL THE TIME just in case I get a batch of bad gas from somewhere.

Some of those old motors are tough as nails. You can't kill 'em. Keep it running and you should be good to go whenever the weather is nice!
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Post Thanks / Like

Lower your motor so rain can't fill up the exhaust chamber in your lower unit and freeze, which could cause some problems.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I don't care what time of the year it is, if my boat doesn't get used eve1ry 2 or 3 weeks that alumenium Lund uses starts to get dry rust. He, he, he

Post Thanks / Like

Put some Bounce dryer sheets or some spearmint oil in your boat. It will help keep mice out.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey fish for food, thanks for the spearmint oil idea. I park my boat in an old barn and there are plenty of mice to keep my two cats busy.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about the bounce thing. I had 3 in my storage compartment and they ate my boat cushion right beside them. Think I'll try the oil next time. What is fogging the motor? Do you do anything to the bilge pump, or the live well pump, also do you do anything to the water pressure gauge? thanks..

Post Thanks / Like

A buddy has a tight fitting boat cover. He puts cat litter in a couple styrofoam plates to absorb moisture.

Ive always left the transom end loose to air it out.