Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: High Rock Lake Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default High Rock Lake Crappie

I bought a pontoon a few weeks ago, and I have been to High Rock a couple of times. Both times I went I fished the main lake docks with no luck. I found a tree submerged in about 6 ft of water about 30 ft off a bank and fished it with minnows and caught 2 the first trip 1 of them being 14 inches the other about 10. The 2nd trip i went back to this tree and caught 4 more. The water was 58 degrees and looked like it had started to turn over. There was tree limbs all over the top of the lake. I am very new to crappie fishing, but I love it. I just wish I knew where to find them this time of year. I have a little hummingbird depth finder "PiranhaMAX10" which I dont think shows much of anything. I took my manual with me last time and spent half the day running around and reading the depth finder, i went to the fish attractor buoys and ran across those but didnt see anything.
    I also wanna know can you nightstalk this time of year on high rock with any success? I bought 2 of the white floating lights, but I have never done any nightstalking.
    Any help you can give me will be GREATLY appreciated, on daytime and night fishing. I know its almost thanksgiving, and I love to hunt, but I'm not ready to give up crappie fishing for sitting in a deer stand just yet.
    By the way, I will also be fishing Lake Norman. So any insight there will help also.
    In Other words Im just plain lost, and I need help big time! lol
    Thanks for the help~ Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

If I were going to High Rock or Jordan Lake or any lake for that matter this time of year I would go to a known hole or a drop off and drop a minnow straight to the bottom. I've never fished at night this time of year but if it was a little warmer at night I would consider it. It's deer season now so the boat is under the tarp. I'm not sure about Lake Norman but I'm sure crappiequeennc could help you out. Check out the NC board to get local reports. There are guys there who regularly fish High Rock and Lake Norman who can help you out.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board Kevin....I've never fished at High Rock before, so I can't help you there....But Lake Norman is another story....As far as catching fish this time of year on Norman...Fish in the main channel..around the piers..I always try to stay in water at least 40 foot deep...Crappie are coming in around these piers...Just start out fishing deep and work your way up until find them..As far as fishing at night...Sure you can...Some of the best crappie fishing is done at night...Just set up over a drop off...Put your light out (green) and you will catch you some fish...Rango has wrote a great article on nightstalking..You can find it on the first page under articles
    Good luck to you and if I can be any further help just let me know...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvfishin
    I bought a pontoon a few weeks ago, and I have been to High Rock a couple of times. Both times I went I fished the main lake docks with no luck. I found a tree submerged in about 6 ft of water about 30 ft off a bank and fished it with minnows and caught 2 the first trip 1 of them being 14 inches the other about 10. The 2nd trip i went back to this tree and caught 4 more. The water was 58 degrees and looked like it had started to turn over. There was tree limbs all over the top of the lake. I am very new to crappie fishing, but I love it. I just wish I knew where to find them this time of year. I have a little hummingbird depth finder "PiranhaMAX10" which I dont think shows much of anything. I took my manual with me last time and spent half the day running around and reading the depth finder, i went to the fish attractor buoys and ran across those but didnt see anything.
    I also wanna know can you nightstalk this time of year on high rock with any success? I bought 2 of the white floating lights, but I have never done any nightstalking.
    Any help you can give me will be GREATLY appreciated, on daytime and night fishing. I know its almost thanksgiving, and I love to hunt, but I'm not ready to give up crappie fishing for sitting in a deer stand just yet.
    By the way, I will also be fishing Lake Norman. So any insight there will help also.
    In Other words Im just plain lost, and I need help big time! lol
    Thanks for the help~ Kevin
    Sent you a PM. See if it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

P.S. While the main board can be very helpful, High Rock is a very unique lake. It might help you to also post and read the North Carolina board. I bet half the people there fish High Rock.