Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sauger time in Tn.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sauger time in Tn.

Sauger time is just about here. With the falling water temps. They will start feeding heavy to get ready for the spawn. And man do I love it.
    But need to figure out to catch more of the Walleye that we have. But no one fishes for here.
    The only walleye we catch here is mixed in with the sauger.

Been doing some reading. And when the smaller sauger here on the Tn river below Pickwick Dam. Are in the 40 to 50ft deep water and hanging in with the current. I catch my better sauger along the lip of the drop and much shallow water then the smaller one.
    So wondering if the walleye would also be feeding around the same places as the bigger sauger? Like 20 ft when the smaller sauger are in 40ft and behind structure not in the current like the smaller one's.
    Also plan on using smaller jigs this year. Here is a standard Sauger jig 1 1/4 oz.

Getting ready to try some smaller jigs. Like 3/8 up. and see what I can do with them. I think the smaller jigs should do better when the current will allow me to fish them.
    Any help or ideals on the Walleye would sure help me thanks.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

how far south do you catch the walleye. I'm from alabama and i don't think we have any jsut wondering if they make it this far south. wonder if they are any in guntersville on the tn.
    fighting for this country(it can't always be someone ELSE'S SON)
    keep on fishin

Post Thanks / Like

Would say there should be some there. As there all along the Tn river. And they catch them below Nickajack dam.
    I would fish below the dam and try it. But bet you can catch them above it also. As we catch them here above the dam around the lock walls.
    They tagged some at Ky Dam years ago. And the tracked them through the dam at Pickwick ( Through the locks) and on up the lake. Last I heard they were at Nickajack. That is a long trip. but they do move a lot.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info it's about a 2 hour drive for me to guntersville but i think i'll make the trip when i get home next week.
    fighting for this country(it can't always be someone ELSE'S SON)
    keep on fishin

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Shilo, try using blade baits for those eyes and saugers. They are the best cold water baits we have up north. Silver buddy's or sonars by heddon in silver/blue or gold.

Jamesmb Guest

Hi,

I never tried Sauger or Walleye fishing and was wondering if there are any fishing for them on Cherokee Lake? From what I have seen seems like the sauger prefer the tailwaters by the dam. Any suggestions on how to catch them if you can in the lake. Thanks, James

Post Thanks / Like

They do catch them here at Pickwick above the dam. But still fishing the dam.
    You could try that there. Just fish tight line above the dam. Most bites I get for sauger is on the bottom.
    So I fish straight below the boat along the dam.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

picking a few up in Douglas lake
    Go Lincoln Height Patriots

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sauger verses Walleye

I do some sauger fishing in Guntersville on the TN River. Just wondering is there an obvious noticable difference between a sauger and a walleye? Just wondering if it were possible to have caught a walleye and thought is was a sauger?
    Thanks
    sethook

James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above.......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Chaunc

"Silver buddy's or sonars by heddon in silver/blue or gold."

Do you vertical fish these blades on the bottom like you would a jig?
    sethook

James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast