Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Quickly locating fish in water 10'+

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quickly locating fish in water 10'+

Disclaimer, long time bass fisherman here. My strategy for finding bass is to use a fast moving lure to quickly cover water and locate fish, and then slow down once I know where they are. Is it possible to do this with crappie? I often see fish on my fish finder, so I break out everything and slowly troll around with jigs and don't catch anything. So I have to pack it all up and move to a new spot.

It would be nice to see something on the fish finder and be able to stop and throw something to quickly determine if it's a spot worth fishing.

What lures and techniques can be used to do this, especially in 10+ FOW? In shallow water I can throw a rooster tail or something that works pretty good. In 10 feet of water my jigs sink so slow, and they don't stay at the right depth, especially if I'm fighting wind.

Any tips appreciated!

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A Spinnerbait to a Bassfishermen to cover water or find fish is the( Roadrunner,or single spin crappie jig) to the crappie fishermen!! We fish a big clear lake!! We also use the 3 arm alabama crappie rig!!! When we locate fish or cover we switch to our Crappie tubes and jig's!!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

pm sent

Post Thanks / Like

I would troll crankbaits like Berkley Flicker Shads or Salmo Hornets #4, #5 and 6's. I would try to place them at the fishes eye level and above. Let's say you are marking fish at 10 to 16 feet. Here is the starting spread:
    Flicker Shad #5 - 80 feet of line
    Hornet #4 - 100
    Flicker shad # 6 - 80 feet of line
    Hornet # 5 100 feet of line
    Flicker shad # 6 - 150 feet of line
    Hornet # 6 150 feet of line

Although this is a fast way to find fish - you might want to stick with it because of it's effectiveness. Also - planer boards help to spread lines as well as Off Shore Tadpoles - a diving device that could help you get jigs to that depth quickly.
    Take a senior or a kid fishing soon!