Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: nassty little flies

Post Thanks / Like

Default nassty little flies

time to break out the vanilla as it's the only thing to keep those pesty little black flies away and you'll smell good too.

Post Thanks / Like

Does vanilla actually work? Does it keep away knats and other buggers? Would love to know. If it worked on ticks id bathe in it as I just spent 30 minutes removing one as I forget to check after last nights trip.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Those knats get bad here some springs but bug spray is useless. Vanilla works but must be reapplied often. I favor gloves and a head net when really bad.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

and it doesn't have to be the expensive vanilla. Imitation vanilla will work. I keep a bottle in my truck and in each boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure of the species of pest you are referring to, but I solved a biting insect problem using Permethrin spray on my socks. We have these small flies that look like house flies, but love to bite your ankles. Even with socks on! Permethrin is an actual insecticide that you treat clothing with (not applied to your skin). It's an insecticide and keeps away the ticks as well. Each clothing item treated is good for 3 or 4 washings, so it's cost effective as well. I have a wide brimmed hat, a couple of shirts, 3 pairs of dungeries and 4 pair of socks treated with the stuff. Even some leather shoes. Used by our troops in Afghanistan. It works.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Yes vanilla does work, so does absorbine jr. As for the tick next time put a large drop of dish detergent on the tick and rub it in in a circular motion. It may take a couple of minutes to get it out but it will back out without any problem with the head being left in. Works better than when my mom, I'm 62 so it was not politicly incorrect, used to hold a cigarette over them till they backed out. She also cured kancor sores with ear wax.

Post Thanks / Like

We use a product called Buggins. Works and will last a long time. Kids involved in outdoor sports have to have it. At one time , we used cheap vanilla perfume which works. It also may make your wife wonder just exactly where you are trolling.

Post Thanks / Like

These are a small black fly. In your eyes, ears and hair constantly. They bite, and some people react badly. Bug spray seems to have no effect. They showed up 8 or 9 years ago, and have made being outside miserable since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Not sure of the species of pest you are referring to, but I solved a biting insect problem using Permethrin spray on my socks. We have these small flies that look like house flies, but love to bite your ankles. Even with socks on! Permethrin is an actual insecticide that you treat clothing with (not applied to your skin). It's an insecticide and keeps away the ticks as well. Each clothing item treated is good for 3 or 4 washings, so it's cost effective as well. I have a wide brimmed hat, a couple of shirts, 3 pairs of dungeries and 4 pair of socks treated with the stuff. Even some leather shoes. Used by our troops in Afghanistan. It works.

Post Thanks / Like

We get black flies here in Vermont and they don't bother me but I use deep woods off for the skeeters. flea collars around your ankles help with the crawling bugs

Post Thanks / Like

Black gnats or as my dad used to call them... "Little Lions". We used to live on a sawgrass bay and I got my truck stuck down the road and it took about an hour - right before dark to get it out. It was 95 degrees with 100% humidity and I had on a pair of gym shorts. Those little things covered me. Not ashamed to admit that at the time I was a 25 year old Mr America and when my wife found me I was sitting in the mud crying like a baby. They had reduced me to an emotional wreck!! If I had not eventually covered my body with thick hot mud (Schwarzenegger in predator style) pretty sure I would have died from blood loss or had a complete mental breakdown!! Only thing I know that will reduce the bites is hot thick black mud. Lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast