Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5/17/14 MTL Opinions - 1st Time Poster

Post Thanks / Like

Question 5/17/14 MTL Opinions - 1st Time Poster

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Myself and two friends have been planning a trip to MTL for this Saturday. I only fish MTL a couple of times a year and have spent most of that time in the South Fork or Indian Creek area. I'm thinking of trying a new area of the lake.

I am wondering what some of you more experienced anglers think the fish will likely be doing by Saturday. From reports, it seemed like the males were on the banks and the females were just getting there. Looks like the lake has risen over 2ft this past few days and with the cooler weather I'm not sure what to expect. My friends have even less experience than me, so I am looking for some tips on where to start looking for the fish.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board. Several of our members are having a crappie camp at MTL this weekend. Check out the sticky at the top of the MO Off Topic Board

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Smithville enjoy the site .
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard and hope to see you Fri. or Sat. You seem to be up on watching the board, my bet is gonna be rigging in 10 ft of water for the bigger girls. But I have been wrong so often, just glad to be having fun.
    Likes springhillwantabe, south point LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking they should back off a bit and maybe move shallow in the evening. Do you think the water will be cleared up some what by the weekend?

Post Thanks / Like

What sort of techniques you familiar with? I doubt you have a spider rig set-up- that is more of an advanced tactic requiring some investment is rod holders. I've thought about getting into it, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I've seen guys trolling with a rod in each hand with maybe a drop-shop set-up with a couple jigs tied on-kind of a "poor man's spider-rig" LOL!. I've done good dipping trees with long poles and Wally world (green and orange)color Kalin grubs on Twain. Either 1/16 or 1/8 oz- depending on the depth they are holding. When things are really tough, I slip bobber with jigs or minnows in the trees- keep moving if things aren't producing. Focus around the trees themself-I'm convinced crappie hold close to them just as a point of reference in muddy water. If they are active, I like to chunk and wind small beetle spinners to the bank and slow-roll them back-gotta hit it right for that technique to work though. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the board, goose talk. come by the state park campground and have a beer with us this weekend! maybe someone will have some idea of what the fish are doing.
    we might still find some shallow, lord knows there will be some spawning going on somewhere in the lake, but I would bet the western arms will be pretty muddy. maybe find cleaner water around the main lake.

Post Thanks / Like

The lake raised 2+ft. South Fork report says most muddy water came in from the south creeks. Water should be better along the north side. Vandalia and towns to the south had 3+ inche's of rain and that is what messed up the south side.

Post Thanks / Like

Id be fishing the north side,there is also several big tournaments this weekend.
    Jig & Ellie are my green headed corn grinder finders.

R.I.P Jig dog

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. We had to change plans and will only be fishing Sunday. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast