Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ok another question from a new fisherman.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ok another question from a new fisherman.

What is the best way to store crappie and other fish while on a 10' Jon boat? Should I make a live well out of a media size cooler? Should I just run them on a stringer or fish basket? What are your guys thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Ice chest an ice is the only way I go
    Likes TN. WATERSHED LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Really any of those should be good for you. If you have a problem with turtles in your area I would go with the cooler and ice. That even gives you a place to keep a few drinks. Good luck and may your stringer always be full. Be sure to post some pics.
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

One problem of having them on a stringer trailing in the water and also in a fish basket, every time that you want to move with the main motor, you will have to bring the line out of the water and place the stringer/basket in the boat. Also the stringer/fish basket will act like a drift sock in the water. Short life of the trolling motor batteries for that trip.

Post Thanks / Like

If the water is not hot, then a basket will do you fine. Get the largest you can find so they can swim. When the water gets above 70 then its time to get a cooler with ice.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a an Igloo Cube cooler. I've drilled a small hole in the rim so I can slide the tubing from my 12V aerator into the water. I use this to keep tournament fish alive in a variety of conditions. Seems to hold temperature better than the livewell in my aluminum boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filletfetish View Post
    I use a an Igloo Cube cooler. I've drilled a small hole in the rim so I can slide the tubing from my 12V aerator into the water. I use this to keep tournament fish alive in a variety of conditions. Seems to hold temperature better than the livewell in my aluminum boat.
    So your aerator runs off your troller battery or what?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyp74 View Post
    So your aerator runs off your troller battery or what?
    I run it off of my cranking battery. I only use TM battery for TM. All of my other electronics run off of the cranker. I keep a spare battery on board, but have never had to use it.