Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: ? On battery placement

Post Thanks / Like

Default ? On battery placement

Just bit the bullet on the 24v terrova. Thinking of putting both battery's in the front compartment of my Lowe 195 st. It's rigged for 12v right now. I believe the other battery would fit in back. But was wondering if the extra weight would help on them windy days. I mainly spider rig but plan to start trolling with terrova. Just wondering if anyone has done this an if so how they liked it. Thanks

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It should definatley help with the bounce on windy days. I would first just sit them in there and take it out and see how boat performs with added weight in the front. Some boats don't like it and some perform better. Get them on ce ter as much as you can.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Should work great. I did the same thing in a 15' key west. Boat rode better and with 2 batteries and an on board charger up front it came out the hole like a champ

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

When I bought my Terrova, I had to rewire all my TM stuff so I put both new batteries up front. I have an 1860 Horizon and it doesn't have a front compartment big enough for batteries so I had to mount mine in boxes just behind my casting deck on the left side. It doesn't look the best but it allows for quick access to the batteries and wiring. I'm much more about function than looks. Some day I may build a battery compartment for them but it will be up front.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

i moved mine up front on my lowe st 175. they fit well and still have storage room. you can pretty much see how i wired to the t/m and the charger cord. i now have a 12v system but can easily change to 24v when and if i find a deal on a terrova. really have not fought any real ruff water but the boat handles great with them up there.

Last edited by windstone; 05-12-2014 at 12:13 PM.
    DEAD AS FRIED CHICKEN

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 12v system and then went to a 24v system and now back to a 12v system again, but am using both batteries hooked together to make it 12v. I have them up front on a multi species boat and it works very nice. It takes ruff water better and can get up on plane a lot quicker. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I am getting ready to do the same thing. I have a Tracker 175 and already have the Terrova, cables and batteries ready to go. I went ahead and bought two Everstart 29's (65 lbs each) and put them in the compartment to see how the boat handles. As others have said, it seemed to handle fine, got on plane quicker and much smoother crossing wakes. The only downside is I probably lost about 2 mph based on before and after gps measurements. If speed was a concern, I wouldnt be driving a 50 hp Merc, so not a big deal. Also, with the price of 6g battery cable, the short run is also an advantage.

Post Thanks / Like

" Also, with the price of 6g battery cable, the short run is also an advantage. "

My thoughts exactly.

That is the way I had mine done. It keeps the boat balanced nicely.
    Lund Rebel XL 1625 Merc 60 4 stroke
    Yamaha T8 Lowrance HDS 5
    Minn Kota 70lb I Pilot 60"

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 16'x 48'' Aluma Weld boat made in 1987 and converted the front storage box to hold 2 large deep cycle batteries for my 24 volt trolling motor. It was light in the front so it runs better under power and fishing in wind is more stable . Have heard of some adding weights to front to help but makes sense to use something you already carry in the boat. Did this right after buy'n the boat as front was too light and porpoised under power even with power trim.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes don3778 LIKED above post