Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another B n' M

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another B n' M

Getting another Sam's Supersensitive in 9' length for casting and vertical jigging. There are quite a few "500" size (100 yds./4# test line) spinning reels out there. I will be loading this reel with 2# test Fireline Crystal (with a fluoro leader), or 2# test Trilene XL. Doing some line experimenting here.

I can't afford another Symetre ($100.00), or even a Sahara ($80.00) to match up with it. I am, however, looking at the Sienna (about $30.00). Has anyone had any experience with this model of the Shimano line?

And yes, I am partial to Shimano reels. Have a 1/2 doz. of them now and none have let me down. Just worried about the negatives going to such a less costly reel. Appreciate your suggestions, even if it is another make/brand you feel would be better. Thanks for your input guys!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Sienna on one of my set ups. It's not a high end reel like the other Shimanos but it casts and reels pretty smoothly. It's a decent value!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I know you are partial to Shimano, but in that price range the Phluger President is a hard reel to beat. Smoothest reel I own.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes wannabe fisherman, MICKEY1982, newbe2 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have several siennas. They are perfectly fine reels! Very comparable to the pflueger trion. They are smooth, but the drag is lacking. I you fish 2# or less line you MAY have to upgrade it. You'll have to decide for yourself.

I am going to buy 2 more siennas tomorrow, they cannot be beat for UL setups. I like the 1000's for most UL fishing, except for rods 5' or less.. those get 500's. A buddy of mine is selling me the two for $30 so I cannot pass it up.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Shimano reel man, too ... and have a Calcutta baitcaster ... 3 Spirex's, and an Aero spinning reel. Also have a couple of the Mitchell 308X spinning reels. All of them are smooth and work great. But to be perfectly honest, the smoothest reel I have is a little Mitchell Spidercast SM200IAR spinning reel. (no longer produced)

If you're going to be doing much vertical jigging with it ... you'll definitely want the reel weight to balance well with the 9' rod, so I'd consider that over brand ... especially in the under $50 price range. My Spidercast reel weighs maybe 5oz and balances my 9' ESP PowerJig rod perfectly.

Some other reels you might want to research :
    Mitchell Avocet
    Tica Cetus
    Okuma Safina
    Shimano Solstace
    Pfleuger Trion

The three things I always consider when getting a reel to match up with a specific rod, is how much it weighs (for balance), how wide/long a spool (for distance), and what type handle it has (comfort & grip). I like the flat (paddle) style handles, and can't stand the barrel shaped ones ... so I'd pick a lower quality/priced reel with a flat handle knob over a high quality one with a barrel handle knob

If you find out how much weight it takes to balance your 9' Sam Heaton ... you can eliminate a lot of reel choices by finding out how much they weigh

.,.. cp

Post Thanks / Like

Siennas are great, I have used them for over ten years. These are my long lining reels. Probably the best value in the $30 range.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with Cray, love my president. To get you going until you get the reel you really want, look into the Mitchell Avocet. I have 3 or 4 of them, and while not near the President, it's a better than average reel that you wont sideline when you upgrade. Some come with 2 spools which is handy when using braid and mono with the different seasons. For $20 or so they are hard to beat. I like the 2000 series for smoother drag and looser line memory.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Those sienna's are a great reel. Also going to throw a vote for the phlueger and the tica. I have a few of all 3 and can't say a bad word about any of them

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks muchly guys. So I take it that with the 9' rod you'd all go with a 1000 size vs. the 500, based on weight balance? Just not sure how much line I'd need on a 1000. Especially if I'm targeting it for 2# test. I have one 2# test rig now, but shorter length rod. I also have a 4# Fireline rig, which I really like. I'm thinking about the lighter Fireline, so I don't run into casting problems with heavier line and such a long rod. Appreciate all your feedback.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Just put more cheap mono backing and use the same amount of line as you would on any other setup. Yes, I would use the 1000 over the 500 for a long rod like that.. especially if you are planning on casting.
    Likes warmouth LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast