Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Deck Replacement

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deck Replacement

I have to replace a 2ftx6ftx3/4 inch piece of carpeted plywood in the floor of my boat when I get home in the spring. I am not going to replace the carpet. Very easy to get the piece in & out. I have already taken the old (rotted on one end) piece out. I am thinking plywood with Rhino coating. Has anyone else done this? Any other suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAINEIAC
    I have to replace a 2ftx6ftx3/4 inch piece of carpeted plywood in the floor of my boat when I get home in the spring. I am not going to replace the carpet. Very easy to get the piece in & out. I have already taken the old (rotted on one end) piece out. I am thinking plywood with Rhino coating. Has anyone else done this? Any other suggestions?
    Treated marine grade plywood should do the trick, Rhino on top would probably be ok, or after it dries good something like thompsons water seal, but a word of caution, if you totally seal the wood then if any water ever does get in (and it will), it doesn't have a way out, so it'll rot the wood faster. Thats why you don't seal the bottom of a deck. My friend ("E", on the SC board) just redid the deck of his pontoon with recycled stadium seating (aluminum). Way lighter and stronger than wood.. Hope some of this helps. Scott (BAMBAM, SC board).
    FIRST YA KILL IT, THEN YA EAT IT..:D
    Current Carolina Cup holders
    Current GA trophy holders
    BEWARE!! SC NIGHTSTALKER....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deck

Thanks for the input bambam. I am going to use the marine plywood & thompsons water seal on the top & the edges. The problem is I put the boat in when the ice goes out in April and leave it in the water until late Oct. The back corner never gets any sun to dry out. I fish 7 days a week unless it rains too hard. Less work to replace the plywood than to cover & uncover the boat every day in the water. The original plywood lasted 10 yrs.

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Fiberglass Resin works real good for sealing the wood. Probably costs about the same as Thompsons Water Seal. You get it sealed up with resin and it won't ever let water it.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not check out that new artificial materials they are using to build decks with now. It will last a long time, but I have heard it will get slick if you don't keep it hosed off. JMHO
    But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.