Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: casting for crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default casting for crappie

I just started fishing for crappie over the last 3 or 4 years , it started with a couple of trolling trips with a friend and another friend took me to weiss lake ,where i was intruduced to shooting docks and casting little flies or jig to any little stick ,which most of them held crappie . Now something about a little 4.5 foot rod with 4 lb. test and watching the crappie come up and take the bait that has almost took the bass fishermer out of me , there is nothing fancy about this , i don't use bobbers , i just cast and slowly real it back to the boat .
    Besides trolling is this the norm for crappie , here its november and it still works ? Does anybody have any insight on this type of fishing , i will troll if i have to but doing the other is what i prefer .

thankk jeff

Post Thanks / Like

hydrabass...If that's what works and you catch the fish...Keep doing it...I know what you mean though about a small stick ...Crappie will come right up on them and just sit there...I've caught alot like that...Some big ones too...
    Here in N.C. they are catching them around the piers that's in deep water....And around brush piles that has some deep water...Good luck to ya...And post us some pictures of your catches...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hydrabass
    Besides trolling is this the norm for crappie , here its november and it still works ? Does anybody have any insight on this type of fishing , i will troll if i have to but doing the other is what i prefer .
    Jeff,

It's been the norm for me for about the last 30 years. I've never gotten into trolling. I'm sure it's very productive, but I love tossing jigs on light tackle too much. It's a simple, enjoyable way to fish.

I would suggest reading this book:

http://www.fishingworld.com/Slider/D...36553&SKU=Book

The focus in the book is bass, but Charlie Brewer's "do nothing" technique applies to jig fishing for any species. The Brewer company also used to put out a booklet just on crappie fishing (they sent it to me as a freebie when I ordered a rod.) You might call to see if it's still available.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Slabmaster

In your 30 years , once the crappie go deep , will they move up shallow after a couple days of warm weather or do they stay deep until ,say late march .

jeff

Post Thanks / Like

not to but in -but friday is was catching some fish 25 to 30 feet deep maybe deeper in about 40 ft of water how much deeper can they go? maybe its all based on the depth of the surrounding water?

Post Thanks / Like

bama..I would also think that it has to do with the temperature of the water...I've caught them alot deeper than that before.....

Post Thanks / Like

true- it just makes me wonder would they prefer good cover in say 35ft water or more comfortable temps in 45ft water?

Post Thanks / Like

I would say temp... When we go nightstalking there is no brush under us...Or we would be hung up all night...And we always catch fish...

Post Thanks / Like

id like to try that (nightstalking) but id probably better get to where i could daystalk first lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I quess the third piece of the puzzle would be the bait fish , when you are nightstalking you are using lights to draw up the bait fish to bring in the crappie , when you are fishing deep and catching fish are they there because of the comfort zone or the bait fish , can bait fish even go to the depths of 25 to 40 feet .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast