Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying first boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Buying first boat.

Decide to buy my first boat. It will be used and plan to look at these two tomorrow if still available. Any thoughts or feedback appreciated...

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/4457985622.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/boa/4459535748.html

Would also be interested in recommendations on a boat in the $5K range. Seems 2000 year models with about 50 HP fall in that price range.

Danny
    - dan aka "Fishfried"

“Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.” ― Grandma Moses

Post Thanks / Like

I would check the Skeeter, has a Yamaha! Plenty of horse power. Also trolling motor. Not sure on electronics, but the fishfinder on the Lowe is a base model. Water test and compression test before buying.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with the Yammy over the Johnson. I say that that's because we've had 3 great Yammy's. Plus, it's got a trolling motor.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The Skeeter I am pretty sure built by G3, should be good boat. Power is more in line with what you need for one that size to perform right. Lowe owners I have talked to with 50's say they are under powered. Like the others said it also has trolling motor. Also that's his asking price, a little negotiating might get you a deal.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I would seriously consider that 1982 Skeeter that in in the classifieds on here. Great hull and bombproof motor on it. Well under your budget, so room for goodies you will want.

Post Thanks / Like

Both look like good boats....Test run them....and see which one you like the best.

Post Thanks / Like

The Skeeter didn't last... dang it. Will looks a Lowe tomorrow. Wouldn't mind finding forum member close to TX wanting to sell to move up.

danny
    - dan aka "Fishfried"

Post Thanks / Like

the Skeeter would have gotten my vote because of the Yamaha & TM.....and better hull design...Mercury Optimax is my second choice in motors.....I am also looking for a nice 16 ft. G3, Express or Alumacraft.....be sure to do a compression test on each cylinder....SS props are a plus....watch for tears in the seats, it can very expensive to fix....to replace the vinyl in a bucket seat can cost $300 each....try to find a rig that has been garage kept.....
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

Post Thanks / Like

look in the classifieds here for a Lowe. Wiskers has one for sale and it's a real nice one.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe fisherman View Post
    look in the classifieds here for a Lowe. Wiskers has one for sale and it's a real nice one.
    Nice boat, but Kentucky is a long way from TX.
    - dan aka "Fishfried"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast