Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longline Trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Longline Trolling

Got a question about longlining. Caught about 40 yesterday evening with 5 between 13-14" all the rest were 4-6" It's been that way for the last month, lots and lots of really small fish to catch a few nicer fish. Any ideas on how to avoid all the tater chips.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You could always go somewhere that there are no crappie. I don't see catching dinks as being a bad thing. They are the future of your fishery.

Try trolling bigger baits like 3 inch curly tails or crankbaits. Get out on the deeper channel structure and you will see less of the small fish. Once I started trolling Bandits in earnest, I rarely ever catch a crappie less than 10 inches, which is our size limit here.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Phishman, Yodibuzz LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you see fish on the bottom, go deep, the big boys are down there a lot of times.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.
    Likes Phishman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I up my bait profile for bigger fish.
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    You could always go somewhere that there are no crappie. I don't see catching dinks as being a bad thing. They are the future of your fishery.

Try trolling bigger baits like 3 inch curly tails or crankbaits. Get out on the deeper channel structure and you will see less of the small fish. Once I started trolling Bandits in earnest, I rarely ever catch a crappie less than 10 inches, which is our size limit here.
    99% of my trolling is crank baits only.

Post Thanks / Like

Key in on fish on isolated structure. It fish are at a certain depth, such as 10 foot go to 10 foot and try structure. Larger fish isolate themselves from larger schools of smaller fish. Bait size typically should match available forage and changing size May or may not affect catch size. It definitely will affect catch rate. Crank baits are a larger profile bait and give you great depth control. They are effective in the summertime when most forage is larger. I would stick to a bait that is working and experiment with area and depth first.
    Last edited by crappielimits; 05-09-2014 at 04:37 PM.
    Likes EARL KITCHENS, jaxsprat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Stay away from shore, use bigger baits, and troll faster. Can't tell you how many crappies I've caught pulling walleye cranks 2-2.5mph. I'm not saying to go THAT fast, just speed it up a bit.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fished the same water today that I fished 2 weeks ago, and that day a friend and I were hard pressed to get a keeper. Today I kept none under 12 when it was all done, and gave away 11 to a friend returning a favor. Can't tell you where the better fish were 2 weeks back. Maybe color changes, speed, or depth of water would change it up. All mine were on bandit 300's.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try the bigger baits as well as putting a couple of crankbaits in the spread.

Post Thanks / Like

Took the advice given here and a much better average size yesterday. Went with 3" twister tails and a 1/8 head and caught 22 with only 7 dinks. Ran a Bandit 200 and a flicker shad with on luck, thinking they need to ran faster than 1.1mph. Number were down but the size was up, thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast