Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about braided line

Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions about braided line

Ok so I bought some 10# power pro braid in mossy green color and went fishing on Monday. I went with my father who was using mono. He was catching and I was getting mad. We were using the exact same jig and color and he caught a limit while I caught four fish. And the only thing I can think of was that I was using the braid. The water was pretty muddy but I could still see the line. Has anyone else ever noticed a difference using braid as far as visibility? I like the features especially when I'm fishing truman (lots of brush, less re-tying hooks.) but if the fish are seeing the line I guess I'll go back to mono or floru! I have heard of people using a leader but to me that defeats the purpose of having the braid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dlogfish View Post
    Ok so I bought some 10# power pro braid in mossy green color and went fishing on Monday. I went with my father who was using mono. He was catching and I was getting mad. We were using the exact same jig and color and he caught a limit while I caught four fish. And the only thing I can think of was that I was using the braid.
    On another day, the situation might reverse. There are a lot of people catching a lot of fish on braid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlogfish View Post
    I have heard of people using a leader but to me that defeats the purpose of having the braid.
    Strength is not the only reason to use braid. Casting distance, sensitivity, and long life are other reasons. I always use a leader. It's SOP for saltwater fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

It may have had something to do with the fall rate of the jig on the braid, you may've not been in the same part of the water column as your dad. I fish yellow braid next to guys fishing mono while two poling and catch as many fish as they do for the most part.
    Likes satdoc1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I fish yellow and lime green braid. Quite often I outfish the others around me.

You have to watch the sink rate, with your 10# braid you are sinking much faster than 4# mono, using the same weight jig. So you may have to downsize to a lighter head or just fish faster. Also every movement of the rod is translated straight to the jig since there is no stretch, so make sure you are not over working the bait.
    Likes satdoc1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I too use braid and have no issues with catching and landing crappie easily. In fact, I have lost less jigs due to the higher strength of the line and being able to pull my hung jigs free. I have four rods with 20lb high vis braid and four with 6lb high vis mono and catch the same amount of fish on both. I just lose more jigs on the 6lb but it is more sensitive for spider rigging.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I use Hi-Vis yellow but with a fluoro leader and have no problems. The fluoro is stiffer than mono or at least much less stretch so I feel I experience no loss of sensitivity with that set up.

Post Thanks / Like

I use hi-vis braid as a main line and then tie to a hook eye for a connection to 2' of 4-6lb mono. Once the braid and mono are tied on, I cut the hook off of the hook eye. Very durable set up. Also when using jiggin poles 10-13' long, I can see the line much easier, and when working the banks I know exactly how deep I am.

You can use the same set up for fishing 2-8' deep, just tie the leader to be 1"-6" or so abover the water when you are fishing so that you can return the bait to the exact depth that you want.

Also, sometimes you just have an off day. My father inlaw and I have days like that, one day he's hauling them in, and the next day I'm outfishing him. It happens.

Post Thanks / Like

just this past week,I use a bright yellow mono line,2 ft from my brother with a clear mono and I was catching 4 times more fish,using same bait,,(grass shrimp),,,who knows what the reason is but it happens,next trip might be the other way around,just never know

Post Thanks / Like

some days you are the bug, other days you are the windshield.........
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE
    Likes shipahoy41, wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use #10 braid (Mossy green) and #4 stren mono leader on one pole. On another I use #6 mono line with a #4 pound mono leader. They are both riggerd with a slip float and 1/16th black/chartreuse tube. Both catch their share of fish.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast