Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lights and nights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lights and nights

O.K. good people. How far do crappie travel at night to a green light? In other words what is the average effective range for a green light to draw those slabs in?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

It would help to know where it was to start with.
    FIN

Post Thanks / Like

The crappie are not attracted to light. In fact they are more afraid of the light. The green light is used to attract plankton which in turns attracts bait fish which in turn attracts crappie. They hang out just outside the "light ball" where the bait fish swim and attack them to eat at just the outside edges of the light. So the trick is to get the bait fish swimming around the light to draw them in. If you don't see the plankton or bait fish after 30 minutes with a light then you need to move to another spot to find the bait fish.
    I have white LED lights on the outside of my boat and they draw in lots of plankton and bait fish when I go out at night. Green light in the water is better but white lights do work too. Just don't over do the light. You only need enough to draw in the fish and not scare them away with too much light. Hope this helps.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Likes Firebug2006 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I understand that part, at least I think I do. My question is how far do you think the crappie will follow the bait fish that go to the light? I was night fishing the other night, and was drawing in bait fish and was thinking if the light drew them in from 500 yards, 200 yards 50 yards, etc. I don't have a clue.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by excited4711 View Post
    I understand that part, at least I think I do. My question is how far do you think the crappie will follow the bait fish that go to the light? I was night fishing the other night, and was drawing in bait fish and was thinking if the light drew them in from 500 yards, 200 yards 50 yards, etc. I don't have a clue.
    Not sure anyone really knows that answer. Too many variables to do any kind of test. You're most likely drawing the Crappie that are already near wherever you're set up or those following the baitfish being drawn to your lights (or, rather the plankton drawn by your lights).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting.
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

Another theory for thought; the Crappie use creek channels at night to travel back and forth.
    Set up the lights at creek Y intersections or sharp creek turns. Kickingback was exactely right on the "food chain" night stalk process. Set the lights in the fish travel lanes then they will come by naturally all night and take advantage of the minnows feeding on the microorganisms (Zooplankton)

Like your posts Kickingback, very smart guy (fellow USAF retiree)
    Crappie Hunter