Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting the hook?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Setting the hook?

Hey guys. My buddy told me about an area that he has been crappie fishing at lately and he told me to check it out. It's a rocky bank an five been using a slip bobber minnow rig. I've been out about 3-4 times and I haven't caught any yet. I've been taking note of the weather and tide conditions as well as how calm the water is and if I can see bait fish swimming around. Today I noticed grass shrimp hopping along the surface of the water so I assumed there must be something chasing them. Before long I saw a crappie slash up against the rock bank. I casted out about 10 feet past where I suspected the fish would be and I reeled in slowly until I got to that spot. I ended up getting a couple good bites but couldn't hook into a fish. Is there any secret to setting the hook on crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

A simple wrist snap is all thats needed. Chances are the fish were just swatting at your minnows, feed them grass shrimp next time if thats what they are feeding on.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the length of the rod & distance to the bobber ... I usually don't set the hook once I see the bobber go under. I keep reeling until the rod tip starts to bend, THEN set the hook.
    And here's the reason :

I don't know which direction the fish is taking the hook, since all I can see is the disappearing bobber .. the fish may be coming right back at me
    I'm not really pulling that hard against the hook, but mostly against the bobber, until I get the line fairly straight between the rod tip, bobber, and hook.
    That "slack" line (or misdirected line) deadens/softens the hookset. And the greater the distance from rod tip to bobber, and/or bobber to hook, the less hookset power is transmitted to the hook ... resulting in a weak hookset, and less likelihood of hook penetration.

(It's also one of the main reasons I rarely use a bobber when casting)

Have you tried simply casting a Roadrunner along that bank, or even a jig (with plastic body or live bait) ... and just slowly, steadily reeling it back ??

... cp
    Likes Eagle 1, Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    I'm not really pulling that hard against the hook, but mostly against the bobber, until I get the line fairly straight between the rod tip, bobber, and hook.
    That "slack" line (or misdirected line) deadens/softens the hookset.
    That's one of the reasons I gave up on traditional bobbers twenty years ago. The waggler "folds over" on the strike, so you get a much better hookset.

Look to The Waggler!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try a road runner next time. Hopefully I'll have better luck. And I would use grass shrimp if I could find them at any bait shop! Lol. I have caught grass shrimp out there before so I'll probably go out the day before and catch some grass shrimp so I don't disturb the fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a little research... Is the thill mini stealth bobber a waggler style? The description says it can be used as a slip float or a fixed float and that it is best used in shallow water, which is perfect for my use. Any experience with this float?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoodToGoGuy View Post
    I did a little research... Is the thill mini stealth bobber a waggler style? The description says it can be used as a slip float or a fixed float and that it is best used in shallow water, which is perfect for my use. Any experience with this float?
    "Waggler style" means "attached at bottom only". The mini stealth will work for that. Another option is the 4-5" Thill wagglers:

http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Thill...Stealth-Floats

The bigger floats take more weight so you can cast them farther.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 10' pole and 6 lb test and slam them with a sweeping hook set 9 times out of 10 it sticks in the roof of the mouth

Post Thanks / Like

When the fish are giving a solid "thump" a snap of the wrist is enough to hook them. When I am getting "nipping" strikes and I am missing them on the hook set, I use a sweeping hook set and for whatever reason get more hook ups. Just a steady sweep of the rod, like you are moving the rod tip 10' or so.
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

More over set the hook than under set it IMO. Be carefull not to over set as you can actually tear off light biting lip hooked fish.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast