Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: madden voyage out need stabilizers "real tippy feeling"

Post Thanks / Like

Default madden voyage out need stabilizers "real tippy feeling"

did not want to take a dunk but i did get it in the water at least. took it to kensington metro park @kent lk. put it in at the boat launch were i had some were to grab on to on the put in ramps for boats. found out i got to adjust the seat and make some stabilizer be for i take it way out on the lake in other word it was a short trip... sorry no pic did not want to dunk the camera yet lol's by the way any one got any good idea on stabilizer? i was thinking making one like the hobbie island series kayaks? any thought on these i was thinking of using crab pot floats? any better idea i am not thinking off of hand?

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

It may take a few trips to get the feel of the yak. Stabilizers does help and are not hard to build, look around a little on this forum and you will find some that our members have made for their kayaks.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

stump hunter: i seen yours earlier i liked it but thought it mite be flimsy with the parts sold at lowes. i would have to use 3/4 inch schedule 40 which is not the greatest stuff around for strength. but what i did do is by ten foot of rigid electrical metallic tubing or rigid emt for short. cut it in to pieces and welded it to gather in tees now i got to order some strong rod holders or some sort of strong swiveling parts lol's to support them. they are about 35 inches long. i may end out welding in another section of two inch standard emt to fit the rod holders i buy but will see.

question::
    any ways do you guy think it is better to mount them in the front or the back of the yak , so there out of the way of course?

also should i go get a bigger crab pot floats like 8 by 14 cause mine are 5 by 11 inches?

any ways thanks for all the help you can give...

Post Thanks / Like

Just My Opinion, but you are better off getting a kayak that is suited to you (ie more stability) rather than try and make your current kayak work.

That said, crab pots will add stability when sitting still, however you will want to be able to lift them out of the water to paddle any distance (and not have the extra stability while paddling).

I would try using it a few more times before doing either. Often times new kayakers tend to shake the boat and don't get relaxed until spending more time in the craft.
    Likes papadave, dougruss47 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

that does answers a few of my questions on stability. i am at the point it is to unstable to sit in it almost tips over siting in it i never remember a canoe being this unstable? maybe i should stick with canoe's? looking around it not that good of a kayak but it should be at least stable if i was to use it with out the stabilizers? was one of my questions and i am thinking it is not. seems like it is to top heavy if any thing maybe i will go back to rigging up the canoe instead? any ways thanks for at least instilling the thought about the stability the one i was wondering about!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with bfish. Get a kayak more suited to you stability wise. The most stable Kayak I know of is the NuCanoe Frontier 12. It's a little on the expensive side but extremely stable and versatile. Lots of accessories available too. Customer Service @ NuCanoe has a lot to be desired, but if you get it from a local dealer you should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a buddy who had a NuCanoe, while plenty of stable for his 300 lb, he has found that the Jackson BigRig to be the more stable.

Post Thanks / Like

for sure will look at the nucanoe kayak corral around here carries them. any ways thanks for all the help you all have given so far!

Post Thanks / Like

The kayak you bought is only 29 inches wide. It is going ot be tippy, and the more gear you pile on top is going to make it worse.

For first timers I would recomend a kayak that has a low center of gravity and wide. Especialy if your a bigger person.

Take a look at the Ascend models at Bass Pro Shop. They are well made boats that feature a wide body and a hatchet shaped bow for better tracking.

For years I fished out of a Perception Swifty and was able to handle rough water even white caps due to thier wider shape.

I hope this helps, don't give up there are better boats on the market. You just have to find what suits your needs. Good luck and don't forget to wear your PFD.
    Wishing you Blue Skies and Tight Lines
    Likes dougruss47 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I love my canoe! It's a 13' Osprey model. It has a 39" beam so you can stand up in it if you like! I got this one just for that reason. Well that and it's one of the best made canoes I have found.
    Name:  canoe 004.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  77.3 KBName:  canoe 002.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  90.1 KB
    The pride of Crossville, Tennessee...Merrimack Canoe Company!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast