Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bluegill eating

Post Thanks / Like

Default bluegill eating

hey guys, im planning on getting into this bluegill action pretty soon. i was wondering do you filet the bigger ones or is there not enough meat for fillets?also ive been crappie fishing and catch the occasional bluegill on minnows. do minnows work as well as worms? i know worms are more practical and easier just wondering if some of the spots i trie for crappie might hold more bluegill than ive seen so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I fillet every single bluegill regardless of size. I have found yellow grubs in gills so I make sure that I fillet them all so I can see them better.
    I use a pointed blade on a Rapalla 12v-110v knife. Easily do 1 per minute and when I've got a good mess, quickly work up to 2 a minute.:D
    I like the flavor of skin on gills, and have probably ate a lot of grubs when I was younger. BUT, now that I know, out they go.:D Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I fillet them all as well, and worms are probably the best bait I've ever used for the gills. Caught many a crappie on worms too, but they tend to like a longer piece of worm on a jighead, just experiment with the colors.
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Post Thanks / Like

I fillet all mine too. I like to use a led head with red and white feathers with a bee moth.
    good luck
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I always fillet bream. Generally bream won't take a minnow but I have caught several bream on minnows. The best bait to use for bream are crickets. I only keep bream about 7-8 inches or longer so the tons of smaller bream can grow.

Post Thanks / Like

Zappaf19, I am very much a fan of 1/80 oz. Grizzly jigs and also tie my own jigs. The red-white combo is one that I don't think that I have tried, but will make up some for the spring bite. Thank You , Mike

Post Thanks / Like

bama647... If I do catch a bream on a minnow, it's a pretty good size one...Seams like the small ones just peck at your minnow....But I do fillet them all...To me it's just easier to go ahead and get rid of all the bones...I just use worms that I get out of the garden...

Post Thanks / Like

your right crappiequeen now that i think about it all the ones i caught were good size. silly me was throwin back too. i wont no more since i know how good they would good with a mess of crappie. good to see you on here hope your feeling better.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually fillet them, too. We do most of our bluegill catching on a dark jighead tipped with a waxie or mealworm. A weighted fly also works. They're good eating - second only to the walleye family - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I fillet em all! The little uns' we use as cajun popcorn
    Roy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast