Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fireline

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fireline

4 years ago I got talked into trying a spool of Berkley Fireline Crystal in 4 lb. test even though I was very happy and productive with my favorite monofilament line. Turns out I enjoyed the performance of the Fireline very much and have caught a ton of fish with it.

I stopped fishing for a couple years, then went out recently and didn't bother respooling my reels with fresh line. Fortunately I didn't lose any fish but could tell both the Fireline and my regular mono had become somewhat brittle as they broke much easier on snags. I'm getting the fishing fever again so time to respool

So a couple questions for any Fireline users:

- I still have another boxed spool that I could use to respool my reel. Do you think the line on my reel became brittle due to exposure, or do you think both my reel and my filler spool are now shot because they are 4 years old? I ask since I have no experience in how long this fused filament line lasts.

- Is there a new and improved Fireline, or a even better filament non-mono product you recommend instead? My Fireline is white, and at times i worried it was too visible. It didn't become transparent line some mono lines do.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been fishing fire line for years. The boxed spool should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

4 years, you are fine!

I do think there is better "braids" out there than the fireline. But I do believe the best of the best for throwing crappie jigs would be berkley nanofil.

As for the white line, just hit the last 2 feet with a sharpie of your choice to camo it up a bit. as long as the water is not clear you should be fine. If it is clear, you need to add a fluorocarbon leader to it.

Post Thanks / Like

It would have to be extremely clear water to worry abou being seen. I fish viscous panfish hi vis yellow and can outfish my partner might near every outing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Primarily trying to decide on whether to respool with the 4 year old spool I have left.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using Fireline since it was first introduced. Very satisfied. I currently have two UL's with 4# Fireline Crystal with a 3' section of 4# monofiliment for a leader. I connect the two lines with an Alberto knot and have never had a problem. Soon I want to try the 2# test Crystal!

I'd stay away from Nanofil. Tried both the 2# test and the 4# test. Lost more jigs than you can shake a stick at. Very poor knot retention. I even broke jigs off in the mouths of crappie & yellow perch with this stuff. Just not worth the effort. I'll stick with Fireline.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    Thanks. Primarily trying to decide on whether to respool with the 4 year old spool I have left.
    What do you have to lose? Spool it up and if it doesn't work any better then get some new line.

Post Thanks / Like

If you un-spool one reel you can take the other reel and transfer it to other reel, you will then have all the line that you never used before on it and you will have good line again without even putting on new.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fused line like braid should not deteriate like mono does. Have some on a couple of reels that's probably ten years old and still strong as it ever was.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes short grub LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I will spool up with the old stuff! The price tag on the box says $14.99 from 4 years ago. Now I see the same size spool for sale for $35 at most places.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast