Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Salted Or Non-Salted Plastic Worms

Post Thanks / Like

Default Salted Or Non-Salted Plastic Worms

Hello,

Do are little friends prefer the salted plastic worms, or just the regular non-salted ?

What's a good length for the smaller Crappies, like one would find in a Pond ?

Any brand(s) stand out as "best" ? Why ?

Thanks,
    Bob

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't normally use plastic "worms" to fish for Crappie, but if that's what your fish are feeding/hitting on ... then they'll likely "hold onto" the salted ones a little longer.

I wouldn't use one over 4" ... and may even cut a 4" one down some, depending on whether or not I was getting hookups or not.

If plastic worms was what worked on the waters I fish, I'd likely go with Charlie Brewer Sliders ... either the 3" Drop-shot worm or the 1.5" Panfish Grub (paddletail). And I'd probably use the Junebug/Chartreuse color in either/both.

If I didn't have to worry about weeds or snags ... I'd put them on a 1/32 - 1/16oz jighead w/#4 hook. But, if weeds/snags were a problem ... I'd use a weedless jighead, or possibly even the CB Slider weedless jighead.

You can see all the Charlie Brewer baits here : http://www.sliderfishing.com/ ... very good baits, good color selection, and they catch fish !!

But, if you're talking about "small" Crappie, like <9" ... you'll probably catch more of them with a 1/32 or 1/16oz marabou Roadrunner in solid Chartreuse or Pink. Many of our bait making members also custom make Roadrunner clones ... and they can custom make them in colors not available from Blakemore.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

It does not matter to me, the salt just washes off the bait on the first cast anyways.

Post Thanks / Like

It's only marketing with the salt? The salt on the outside doesn't effect the plastic bait at all!

Yamamoto found that if you cook a lot of salt with plastic, it will make a super soft plastic that will sink fast and "wiggle" like crazy in the water. He invented the world famous "Senko"

The senkos are very hard to make, that's why they cost a dollar each! LOL But ...... if you ever used one, they are well worth the money?

Post Thanks / Like

There is no salt on fur, feather or hair jigs. That should tell you a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappitier View Post
    It's only marketing with the salt? The salt on the outside doesn't effect the plastic bait at all!

Yamamoto found that if you cook a lot of salt with plastic, it will make a super soft plastic that will sink fast and "wiggle" like crazy in the water. He invented the world famous "Senko"

The senkos are very hard to make, that's why they cost a dollar each! LOL But ...... if you ever used one, they are well worth the money?

Adding salt makes the bait harder. There is salt in senkos to make them sink, not make them softer. Softener additive needs to be introduced to the liquid plastic to get it soft again after adding salt. The purpose of the salt is to make them sink, that is the ONLY advantage of salt inside a bait. The fish cannot taste it if it is encased in plastic, and the salt on the outside washes off.

I don't work for mr. yamamoto, but I have poured roughly 25,000 stick baits in my time.

Yamamoto senkos cannot be beat, he has a proprietary formula using silica and salt to make them which cannot be duplicated. They simply outfish all others, but they are also twice the price of others!