Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spider rigging speed

Post Thanks / Like

Default spider rigging speed

I've been reading another thread and a comment was made to the effect that, when you think your speed is right-go slower. It makes me want to explore this topic further. I generally spider rig at .5 mph. Sometimes i'll go has fast as 1 mph. I use 3/4oz egg sinkers. I also have 2 good drift socks that i haven't used when crappie fishing and would like hear how some of you are using yours. I use an I-pilot terrova. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on the speed issue drift socks and crappie speed preferences. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I run from .2 -.9 and all speeds work on different days. One that we caught Sunday was when I was turning and it was a outside pole so no telling how fast it was moving. The Crappie will tell you what they want.

Post Thanks / Like

My speed depends on the time of the year and the phase of the spawn. Generally I keep it under 0.9. I use drift socks when the wind is really kicking and I can't slow my boat down.

Post Thanks / Like

My thinking is opposite, when you think you are going too fast, speed up. I used to be a .4-.6 mph fisherman but now I am typically pulling/pushing at .9-1.4 mph now. I am sure both ranges of speed have their time and place. I will say that lately we have been using the drift sock to get us down to .9 mph.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

maybe i have been doing this wrong the whole time but if i am spider rigging which is what i consider tightlining i keep it around .2 to .4. to me that is more of a finesse kind of fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I adjust my speed so my lines are about 2 in past vertical.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

have caught fish at .4 and 1.2 the same day. I like to zig zag, speed up and slow down, stop, and speed up. Baitfish are constantly changing direction and speed, why not make my bait do the same. Some days a drift sock or chains are a must. The colder the water temp the slower I like to fish. I have used from 1/2 oz. to 3 oz. depending on what bait and whether slow trolling or power trolling. Faster speeds seem to help especially when fish are scattered.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My speed usually depends on "what" I'm fishing. If I'm going over a single brushpile, I'll go from 0.00 - 0.4mph ... but, if I'm going along a bank or through a series of brushpiles, then I'll go from 0.4 - 0.7mph (depending on how far apart the brushpiles are). On a flat with little to no cover present, I'll start dead slow & speed up gradually until I find the speed they want.

Whether using a jig tipped with a minnow or plain hook/minnow ... I'm using 1/2oz of weight above them about 12" (jigs) or 6-8" (hook alone).

The depth of your bait is one of the most important factors, so your speed vs length of line out & weight of rig has to be taken into account so as to keep that bait at the proper depth. You definitely don't want to be dragging your baits BELOW the fish.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

The majic number for me this year so far is .3 mph usaully i stay between .2 to .5 mph with homemade 3/8oz c&c rigs and i use drift socks sometimes up to 3 drift socks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clfarms1 View Post
    I run from .2 -.9 and all speeds work on different days. One that we caught Sunday was when I was turning and it was a outside pole so no telling how fast it was moving. The Crappie will tell you what they want.
    That happens to me quite a bit, I think the main thing is when you turn the poles on the outside come up about 2ft. I reallt think its the depth rather than speed.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast